Home Unreal Engine

Spectacular Specular Failure

OK, so this is not a new issue for me. It basically goes something like this: No matter what I do, UDK mangles my specular. Now that I've tried to implement anisotropic specular, it's even worse of a problem.

You can see some examples in my image. There's two major issues. One, there appear to be seams that correspond to the UVs, and in some cases it even messes up the direction of the anisotropy. Then on top of that, everything looks like crap, to be very technical about it. Specifically, the specular highlights resemble gouraud shading.

For the love of 3d, tell me this can be fixed. I can't use UDK like this.

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Yep, I got the same issue, I figured it was my code or something, but seems like it's not the case since you have it too.

The only thing I can imagine is the hardening of the UV seams data maybe? I'm not sure if in the latest versions they changed this, but I recall that UDK had it's own optimization running under the hood for seams, UV's, hards, etc. so that could be the problem maybe?

And I don't think you can fix that, even if you access to the code since it's really stuck deep in the renderer code :(
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    I have had this problem a few times in maya, I don't know if it will work or how your application works, but I fixed this proble. By making sure all normals are facing out, and making sure mesh is one whole object.