Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand painted Sword!

Hello Polycount I'm a Game Art & 3D Animation student for four months now and this is my first showable result.
Please let me know what you think.

The Concept, model and the texture maps are from me. I used Maya13, photoshop and crazybump!

The sword has 368 tris.

WSbyJSX.jpg
49MPZlI.jpg
M1fgUOl.jpg

Replies

• rouncer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    handpainting is indeed powerful, nice example of it.
  • pr1mus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pr1mus polycounter lvl 8
    Looks good so far :) But the "used look" edges on the Edge of the Sword could be more randomized.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    The normal map isn't quite working for this kind of modell. IMO i think it would be better without one. (guessing you didnt do a HP of that sword, but you created a Normap map by using possibly the specular map in Crazybump).

The texturing looks good though! =) and for being a new 3D artist great! =)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H8tVvTlBf8"]hand painted texture test - YouTube[/ame]

take a look at that tutorial! It'll help alot
  • AndreasR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your feedback so far and yes indeed wirrexx i have made the normal map without an highpoly mesh, just with the spec map and crazybump.

The video tutorial is pretty nice! It shows a cool workflow and a nice shading.
    Thanks a lot! =)
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    First of all.. your image is huge.. a good way to present your image would be to show what it's going to look like on screen if the weapon were put into a game.. and depending on the game, we're most likely going to see it from far away if the playable character is wielding it. You could probably fit this all onto a decently sized model sheet--to include, the finished model, a wireframe shot, and all your texture maps.

secondly, CrazyBump isn't going to generate your normals very well from the color information you've painted. It's only created a muddy bump that doesn't read like the proper surface materials you've tried to paint. I've done this before because I didn't know better back then. It might behoove you to focus on a purely painted surface, and make us believe what type of materials you're trying to paint-- metals, cloths, woods, etc... get reference.. look at real materials, look at concept art.. this sword is in the light of WoW, so look at wow concept art and finished models and try to see how the concept artists and texture artists painted their materials

your diffuse isn't too bad, but you could strengthen your edges.. they look very muddy.. you might want to reconsider how you've laid out your UVs.. you're not using your textel space as well as you could be... it's like a puzzle.. try to make the pieces fit as tightly together as possible, but give yourself 2 to 4 pixels of space between the UV islands.. this will vary with the texture map size.. but that's just an example..

your Diffuse could also use more color variation.. your moving up and down in values of black and white, but not playing with hue shifts.. so your painting ends up looking very monochromatic.. don't be afraid to add little hints of other colors outside of your main color family.. you can use any color you want as long as it's the same value and range as the colors around it.. also as long as it pertains to your light and form of the thing.

Also.. since colors have a tendency to bounce off each other, paint the colors from the separate objects into each other.. for example.. paint a darker value, but a little more saturated color, of the orange from that middle staple shape into the blade a little bit.. it will act a little like ambient occlusion, as well as a reflection from metal to metal..

Lastly, what will kind of pull this all together, is a gradient of light to dark from the tip of the blade, to the handle, and be sure to punch the light at the top.. it will create a nice weighted contrast from light to dark all over the blade..
  • AndreasR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for your comment jimiles i appreciate it!
    These are some very helpful tips for me.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
  • Jpeppa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What kind of map is being used to create the blue glow texture?

Nice texturing btw!

:)
  • AndreasR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its an Incandescence map, and thank you sir =)
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    Looks good but I think your normal makes it look soft. Perhaps hardening/ flattening some faces.

Also did you intend on making the ploys visible with your texture along the edge?
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    Looks good but I think your normal makes it look soft. Perhaps hardening/ flattening some faces.

Also did you intend on making the ploys visible with your texture along the edge?
  • n0rb1t
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really good so far - well done mate ;)