Home Technical Talk

need help about 3D Platformers

Hello polycount i need some help about making 3d platformers games :)
i have few questions :

1- How can i start blocking the level in a 3d platformer , is it just by placing platforms , or i need to place everything that can be included inside the scene ?

2- Is ther better game engine for 3D platformers ?

3- crash-bandicoot-screenshot.jpg

Can someone tell what techniques used here for texturing and shading ,
is it hand painted texture aplied to a simple gouraud shader ?

thank you !:)

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    First of all you forgot to mention what tools you are using. Your question doesn't really point at anything without that and is pointless.

If you don't know yet what you are using, maybe have a look at Unity. Once you know what you are using you can ask specifically like:
    How do I achieve X in program Y
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadly Nightshade polycounter lvl 10
    Yea your questions are way too general - we need to know more about your tools and engine of choice.

But "in general" I would use some kind of referencing/instancing workflow for placing out your blocks. You create a dummy mockup/blockout for each block type, reference/instance it around in your 3D-program so you can test the level. And then once you've created the real assets you just replace your mockups/blockouts.

Also (and this is pretty much self-explainatory) start with the general flow - the blocks. Don't start texturing or adding backdrops and other details until you have something that works. Think of it as working on a painting: you wanna create the big, rough-but-important areas first and not start detailing right away.

And do you want to make a true 3D-platformer or 2.5D with or without rotating cameras?
  • bilelcg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs wrote: »
    First of all you forgot to mention what tools you are using. Your question doesn't really point at anything without that and is pointless.

If you don't know yet what you are using, maybe have a look at Unity. Once you know what you are using you can ask specifically like:

im using autodesk maya mudbox and photoshop
    im still not sure of what im going to use as a game engine .... maybe UDK
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    you don't know what you want- I guess you should figure that out first. Like why would you go with UDK, what are the alternaitves.
    Is this for you to learn UDK or to actually make a platformer game? Because if it is about the 2nd you better have a look around alternatives to see what gets you to the goal the most convenient and efficient way.

For example unity offers a sample platformer project complete with PDF tutorial guide at:
    http://u3d.as/content/unity-technologies/3d-platformer-tutorial/3yF
    lerpz_2d.jpg

A sample build can be played here, its the same as the tutorial
    http://www.alphagameworks.com/games/lerpz_2d.html

Research is everything, I assuming that you are still young or inexperienced so just as a general guide: Always research a lot before you start anything new. Research will tell you what's available, what the competition does, what directions you can go, what the best approaches are or where to look for further answers or who to ask.
  • bilelcg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs wrote: »
    you don't know what you want- I guess you should figure that out first. Like why would you go with UDK, what are the alternaitves.
    Is this for you to learn UDK or to actually make a platformer game? Because if it is about the 2nd you better have a look around alternatives to see what gets you to the goal the most convenient and efficient way.

For example unity offers a sample platformer project complete with PDF tutorial guide at:
    http://u3d.as/content/unity-technologies/3d-platformer-tutorial/3yF
    lerpz_2d.jpg

A sample build can be played here, its the same as the tutorial
    http://www.alphagameworks.com/games/lerpz_2d.html

Research is everything, I assuming that you are still young or inexperienced so just as a general guide: Always research a lot before you start anything new. Research will tell you what's available, what the competition does, what directions you can go, what the best approaches are or where to look for further answers or who to ask.

actualy i want to use UDK because of its easy visual manipulation , also i work with UNITY , i think that i need to check this platformer tutorial and decide wich engine im gonna use
    and you're right i didnt do much research .......auh.... thank you !!!
  • rouncer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no lighting at all often looks the best, just relying on the diffuse for ambient occlusion and colour gives great results by itself.