Home General Discussion

Portfolios..

Hey all,

I am relatively new to modeling and I just had a few questions pertaining to online portfolios. I apologize if this has been asked before.

First off, I notice a ton of you guys have portfolios filled with exquisite work..much better work than I could ever hope to make. How long does it take to create a portfolio?
Are there cheap or free options to host a portfolio website?
Have you gone to school for 3d modeling or just self taught?
In my sketchbook, do you think any of my models are good enough for a portfolio?

Sorry these are such broad questions, I just wanted to get some helpful input.

Thank you. Cheers! :)

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    - It takes many months to put together a solid portfolio if you are just starting out.

- You can get a website domain name and hosting for $30 a year, but there's free options such as blogspot, or pretty much any blog website.

- It's probably about 50:50 self taught vs formal education, but a lot of people will say schooling didn't get them a job.

- You should just link your sketchbook, of course we can find it, but make it easy for people.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    you have nice stuff on you sketchbook ; great modeling skills .. but i think you should focus on some texturing and presentation skills to get your works ready for a portfolio .

good luck :)
  • Eric Chadwick
  • mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    "How long does it take to create a portfolio?" - That depends on how much work you want to put in your portfolio and what kind of quality you are striving for, and of course how much time you can spare to work on portfolio pieces. But if you worked full-time on your portfolio I would say you could probably have something to show employers in about two to three months if you really push yourself. However, if you are just starting out it may take a lot longer, since your learning curve will be extreme in the beginning.

"Are there cheap or free options to host a portfolio website?" - There are of course free options such as blogspot etc. as mentioned above, but I would recommend you buy your own domain and web-space and create your own portfolio website. If you don't have any HTML experience at all you could use a template like this one: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91572

"Have you gone to school for 3d modeling or just self taught?" - I have been attending a vocational school for the last one and a half year and I'm currently doing my internship at a game studio here in Sweden. The debate about whether going to school is worth it or not is a never-ending story, but I would say it's definitely worth it. However, in Sweden universities don't charge tuition fees, so I can't really give an honest answer whether or not it would have been worth it or not if I had been forced to pay for it through my nose.

"In my sketchbook, do you think any of my models are good enough for a portfolio?" - I think you should put up all the work you have that you feel represents your current skills and experience, and just keep on working and adding portfolio pieces, and you will eventually land a job.

Hopefully that will provide some insight, just keep on working and you will find a job in no-time. Good luck!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Posting your work on cghub.com is perfectly acceptable.

So is blogspot, cgsociety, and to a lesser degree deviantart.