polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
electricsheep polycounter lvl 7
Update: 19/04/2013

UDK_19-04-13_barton07_zps745359ee.jpg:original

Original post follows.
_

Hello!

I'm currently working on a cyberpunk-esque environment scene, which I intend to make my flagship portfolio piece, so hopefully I can get some decent crit to help me along the way.

Bookstore
The first part of the project I'm focusing on is creating the exterior and interior of a bookstore. The idea here is to combine the victorian/edwardian architecture with something that's a little futuristic (the idea is to create a sort of ad hoc style)

I also plan to create the following:
- Street props
- Buildings in the surrounding area (fa

Replies

• Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    Looking good! Are you new to UDK? You seem to know your stuff well. I like the colors so far, the bage color is a bit underwhelming but I can see it feasable for "Near Future" Are you sticking closly with that scheme? How modular are you making the assets?
  • GrimFiction
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking nice! slight crit would be that the window borders dont stick out enough but its more personal preference than anything. Im really interested in how this turns out!

Are you going to have hologram signs?
  • electricsheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments :)

@GrimFiction: Hologram signs you say? No cyberpunk scene would be complete without it :P haha - I have added a couple of 'TO LET' holo signs and plan to add more, but perhaps combine it with large electronic billboards and traditional posters too, so there's a good mix.

Not had a great deal of time on this due to work, so just small update.

UnrealED_7_zpsfe33a2d3.jpg
    UnrealED_8_zps90fcc741.jpg

Gotta add one more sign just above the main entrance, not sure what else to add though as the reference I'm using for the old style building is pretty basic, but I might do a little improvising - any suggestions would be good though :)
  • gyhser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am really into what you've done so far. My only critique thus far is the "To Let" sign could benefit from a color change that contrasts or simply stands out from the color of the building.

Please keep updating as you continue to develop this. Seriously, please.
  • electricsheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello - a little further update on this project.

Added a few street props to the environment and more 'glowy' signs to give it a sci-fi-esque look. The fountain looks a bit shit tbh - it's an old model I made which I'm using as a temporary centre piece.

barton_03_zpsbaf9caab.jpg
    barton_02_zps687b31d5.jpg
    barton_01_zpsa208f53e.jpg

Crits and comments welcome :)
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd add scanlines and possibly a projector beam for the holograms, both of which were first shown in a certain fairly-well known movie. The holograms should also be semi-transparent, and either self-illuminated or emissive.
    SW%252520V3%252520720p%252520sample%2525204.m2ts_snapshot_21.18_%25255B2011.07.29_01.00.05%25255D.jpg

The collection pool for the fountain seems awfully small, and the square shape seems very odd when combined with a round fountain.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage polycounter lvl 13
    Going to keep an eye on this :)
  • electricsheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments.

@DWalker: Cheers for the advice. I've done just that, but I don't think you can see it in the screenshots below (I will post better pics in the future)

Another little update:
    - Changed the windows
    - Changed the fountain
    - Changed the ground textures
    - Adjusted the textures for holographic signs (scanlines and transparency mainly, which you probably can't see in these screenies)
    - Adjusted the directional light
    - Blocked out the surrounding area

What do you guys think of the fountain? Do you prefer the new version, the previous version or neither?

24-03-13_barton04_zpse0cce67a.jpg:original
    24-03-13_barton03_zps07b63a27.jpg:original
    24-03-13_barton02_zps20cca9d5.jpg:original
    24-03-13_barton01_zps94331089.jpg:original
    24-03-13_barton06_zps7f9eddf8.jpg:original
    24-03-13_barton05_zps49916176.jpg:original

Next step is to polish some more of the existing models in the scene and also I'm also going to make a start on the building next to the bookstore, which will just be a facade.

As always, any comments and crits are welcome :)

P.S. I've also started to blog my work on a facebook page, which I invite you to like/share/etc (if you want that is).

Ibrahim Wahab - 3D Artist | Facebook

- Ibrahim
  • electricsheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Project Update:

I've temporarily removed all of the surrounding street props and buildings so I can focus solely on the bookstore, considering that is supposed to be the focus of the scene.

I decided to increase the size of the bookstore in terms of width and height. I prefer this new shape and size; I think it makes it look more interesting than before and also seems a little more futuristic (At least I think so).

UDK_19-04-13_barton08_zps441b010f.jpg:original
    UDK_19-04-13_barton07_zps745359ee.jpg:original

As always, comments and crits are welcome :)
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The black outline of some of the white architectural details - especially the bricks on the edges & corners - seems almost like a toon shader, and doesn't really fit the photo-realistic nature of the rest of the scene.

The vertical portion of the movable frame for the windows looks a bit thin, but that might just be the viewing angle.

You might want to create a blinds texture to place slightly behind the windows to reduce the number of interiors you need to create without being too obvious about it. ;) A few simple variations - closed with slats one way, closed with them the other, partially closed - will let you have variety without too many headaches.
  • tulkas09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tulkas09 polycounter lvl 7
    Looks great. I think that the windows can be better if they reflect a bit more. With a photo of a city as reflection or something...

edit: also you can try the bump offset, on udk(it is the parallax) for the curtains in the windows is something like this->
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFL0PcS1n_E
  • electricsheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the comments guys :)

I'm on working on those improvements at the moment and hopefully this will add a bit more realism to the building.

Also, thanks for the vid!
  • electricsheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another small update, although I feel like I've hit a bit of brick wall with this at the moment - need to find me some inspiration.

06_UDK_17-06-13_barton_zpsa5cca558.jpg~original

05_UDK_17-06-13_barton_zpsd230059f.jpg~original
  • electricsheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it's about time I update this..

08_UDK_06-04-14_barton_zpsd4490858.jpg~original
    09_UDK_07-06-14_barton_zps744774ec.jpg~original

Crits and comments welcome :)
  • RobeOmega
    Options