Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My First Model Ever - Help needed!

Like the title says, this is the first thing I have ever modeled/textured, and I am in dire need of some help! I was only able to complete this model due to a tutorial I followed, and as a result I find it mind boggling to even attempt to model something on my own, even with a reference. So I ask you guys: any references that you could recommend to help me get better at modeling? Should I buy Zbrush and use that as opposed to Blender? And what kind of tips can you give to a complete novice?

Any help is appreciated, and I'm really hoping to get some good feedback! Thanks again for your time, and of course here's my (very) primitive first model: a good ol' T-Rex. P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this kind of stuff :( I was told to post here for something like this, so here we are wee

GggCEAvh.png

Replies

• Satotiga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Satotiga polycounter lvl 11
    That's pretty damn cool for your first model, good job.

Blender and ZBrush are completely different programs used for completely different things. Unless I am mistaken Blender is your general modelling package like 3DS Max, Maya, etc. - ZBrush is a sculpting package. The general workflow would be to create your model in Blender and then take it into ZBrush where you would sculpt in your details before baking a normal map to project this detail on your model. This will go way over your head if you are a novice but what I'm saying is you don't need ZBrush at this stage, in my opinion.

My advice at the moment would be keep at it, as you've made a good start. At the start of my course at University we started off with a Barrel - modelled and textured - and then moved on to create a Cone, Postbox, Small section of a building and then a Phonebooth. Essentially, starting small and gradually increasing both the size and detail of your models. There are plenty of tutorials for modelling for all experience levels, and plenty on Polycount. I would post some of these tutorials but I would image that would be infringing on some copyright the university has!

I also commend you for getting yourself on Polycount this early. I never came on here until my 3rd year of uni and I can say I've missed out on lots of great advice and challenges, not to mention the inspiration you can get from seeing fellow artist's work. Don't worry about asking for help either, its one of the best things you can seek :)

As far as I can tell you've posted it in the right forum as well, although I'm quite new myself. If it isn't in the right place I'm sure it can be moved without fuss so I wouldn't worry.
  • Jpeppa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Impressive for your first model!

Pretty much what ToTheWorld said is where you should start. But to further his comment you can get all of autodesk's products for free on an individual licence. That includes Maya, Mudbox (Zbrush type program for sculpting), 3ds Max, etc.

Find one that you want to stick with and just follow tutorials. Also note that there are many techniques out there such as planar modeling, spline modeling, and box modeling.

The way I started was by learning the uses for all the different modifiers (3ds Max) and just playing with them, seeing what wild things you can make with each one.

Also, make sure you learn about topology before you go ape-shit lol. I wish I had taken the time to learn more about it first.

Just my 2 cents. Hope that helps!
  • Yog-Shoggoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yog-Shoggoth polycounter lvl 9
    ToTheWorld wrote: »
    Blender and ZBrush are completely different programs used for completely different things. Unless I am mistaken Blender is your general modelling package like 3DS Max, Maya, etc. - ZBrush is a sculpting package. The general workflow would be to create your model in Blender and then take it into ZBrush where you would sculpt in your details before baking a normal map to project this detail on your model. This will go way over your head if you are a novice but what I'm saying is you don't need ZBrush at this stage, in my opinion.

Blender actually has pretty good sculpting tools built into it. While not maybe on the same level as ZBrush, the new dynamic topology system is getting pretty close and even the old multi-resolution modifier approach isn't too shabby.

To get back on topic, for a first time attempt at 3D modelling, I'd say you've done a pretty good job. And to echo ToTHeWorld's comments, the best way to get better is to keep practising. Once you've followed a few tutorials and experimented with the software you'll soon be able to tackle something on your own.

If your looking for further Blender tutorials try some of these links.

http://www.blenderguru.com/
    http://cgcookie.com/blender/

Also well done on being brave enough to post your first work here on Polycount, I've not had the guts to post any of my Blender stuff yet. But then that's probably because it's all half finished WIP.
  • Shammy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for the references! I'll be sure to try out tutorials from these sites, and even start with a barrel. :)
  • serpentine19
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    serpentine19 polycounter lvl 7
    ahhhh, good ol'blender. I started with it aswell. I'll tell you now that Yog-Shoggoth is right with his links. An invaluable wealth of knowledge on both those sites, especially blender cookie. Learnt most of what I know now from Jonathan Williamson.

As for Zbrush compared to blenders sculpting tools, don't worry about Zbrush just yet. Blenders sculpting tools are more than capable, Zbrush seems alot more advanced/ big learning curve if your comfortable in blender. (currently trying to teach myself Zbrush)

To add to the links try searching through these forums aswell
    www.blenderartists.org/

Good start in modelling and texturing.:)
  • Sir_Dillon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir_Dillon polycounter lvl 6
    I agree with the rest and say: For your first bit of modelling, the dinosour is really neat!

I myself am quite fresh to modelling and the #1 thing I recommend is also:

START SIMPLE!
    I use to get too ambitious all the time. Start on fancy ideas which turn out to have no future in finishing.
    Best progress really is to start on simple objects ( --> good old barrel and stuff). You will find that you have enough trouble to solve basic problems first. But pic things you can finish. And maybe things that are simple enough so you dont need to model with too many references (meaning image planes in the scene etc). Make your brain work out the shape on its own. Train this. Maybe redo one object, try if you can find a better and more efficient way to model the same thing.

Dont get lost in too difficult things as you start. I wasted a lot of time starting way too complex projects.
    Dont make it too hard so you dont loos the spirit ;)

happy learning