Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

High Poly Tree

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
janeil24kid polycounter lvl 6
first time doing a sculpt in zbrush.. if you guys have any techniques that want to share please do so. i am planning to make a lowpoly for this tree -cheers :)

highpoly_tree.jpg

Replies

• _DMage_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, try to low the polycount in meshlab and normal map the tree in maya (you can select AutoMapping or just normal map it by your self).
  • wichenroder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _DMage_ wrote: »
    Yes, try to low the polycount in meshlab and normal map the tree in maya (you can select AutoMapping or just normal map it by your self).

Confused as to why he would do any of that?

janeil24kid, looking good, try and work a little longer on the surface so that it looks less like brush strokes.
    It's difficult to work with branch-like forms in zbrush, one thing that helps though is the Inflate brush. Use it to control the thickness when you get into trouble.
    Also rolling down and around a branch with something like the Trim Dynamic brush is a way of sculpting them that I find useful.
    Have you tried things under the Derformation panel like Twist? Gravity? Taper? You can arrive at really interesting results that feel really dynamic.
    When the time comes you could try adding some rocks and things that the roots engage with, help give the roots a purpose and contextualise the tree.
    I would be careful with some of the angle of the branches you have there, I see a right angle or 2 that feel forced. Try using the transpose tools to play with the angles of some of them.
    You could create some skinny branches and make a MultiMesh brush so you can just plant a bunch of them around the tree. Right now all your forms are about the same thickness and the whole thing would look more interesting if you broke it up with some contrasting forms. Take a look at this tree by David Lesperance

Unfortunately QRemsher doesn't handle long, thing forms like tree branches very well, but you could try using curve guides and see what low poly results you get. My guess though is that it won't start to be decent until you're at around 5k.
    Topogun is good, as is Modo for retopo. But actually there is a bunch of ways to reopo in Zbrush these days so why not try the new tools there..