Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Winter Mountain Scene, Portfolio Project

Hey polycounters,

Here is some headway on a concept I painted a few weeks ago. I'm almost done with some fences to go around it. The windmill and silo will be the next two props tackled. I don't know if I want to add icicles or not, and if I do, then I'm either going to do some sculpts with geo and a nice shader or use a cool vertex painting technique I saw here on polycount. Any suggestions?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to comment, lot's of work to keep doing.

-Stockwell

Concept:

154494_570656212949520_897617620_n.jpg

UPDATE:

856977_611521315529676_2093654496_o.jpg

Replies

• iangoold3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iangoold3d polycounter lvl 5
    i think over all this is a great start :thumbup:,i like the concept and the over all mood to the scene. snow scenes are pretty hard to do but if done right look really cool. in my opinion the barn still is lacking some "story" to it. i did a fast draw over of things i thing might help bring the barn more to life,

helper_zps3f3653be.jpg

also i noticed in the concept the barn is open and has a light source of some sort. i think that would help out the barn as well

anyways good luck and hope that helped a bit:)
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did more work throughout the week. Thanks Ian for the paint over, I was getting many similar comments, so I'm glad I put in these extra touches. I still have to do some texture work, a polypainting technique for the icicles, a decal with normals for boot prints, and most importantly the Icy Mud environment material for the pathway leading out of the barn.

What I've added, Snow clumps to roof and fences, dead grass, high poly of rooster compass, and some texture work on the snow.

I have been running into a Problem though. I cannot seem to get my specular to work as well on the terrain as it does on the extra snow clumps. Is this because the terrain has a baked light map?

Comments and Critiques welcome :poly122:

856977_611521315529676_2093654496_o.jpg
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small Updates, really just trying to find time to do some more props.

Things to Do:

- Silo has been made but is not done, it still needs cabling that holds the planks together and snow clumps.
    - Next up is sculpting and texturing the whole Windmill. The whole barn, silo, and fences are all made of the same 2 modular plank textures. But I wanted to do a really clean unique texture for the windmill. I may also change up the composition a bit so I can have the windmill in the foreground.
    - I really need to get my second environment texture of Icy Mud done.
    - I also really need to get on the Icicles Shader and ready for polypainting.
    - Snow Clumps, one for the backside of the roof and one for the Crossing Fence
    - Texture the Rooster Compass
    - Boot Print Decal
    - Jank up fence planks

Zbrush: I've been wanting to learn retopo-ing in zbrush for some time now so I think I'm going to do sculpts of a Bull Skull and a Male Deer skull in a complete Zbrush pipeline. Should be fun :)

Lighting: I want better Ambient Lighting coming from inside the barn and through the gaps in the planks, having trouble figuring that one out. I'm also struggling with Shadows :( There all very soft and not really where I want them to be. The lighting itself looks better when built, but if I could get the shadows I see when the lighting isn't built I think I would be much happier. Any help on that would be great.

Here is my scene as it stands in UDK:

559900_614595875222220_1072337355_n.jpg

Here is a quick paintover it:

525558_614595881888886_1638971731_n.jpg

Here are my notes:

17527_614602878554853_1357575295_n.jpg

and some quick renders of some new assets (normals on rooster have been baked)

17603_614595931888881_45364033_n.jpg

Welcome to Critiques and Comments.

Thanks everybody,

Stockwell
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some touch ups to the scene:

- Added sculpted IceCicles, the polypainting method I wanted to try requires a better GFX Card :(

- Replaced UDK Terrain with UDK Landscape for better material quality, now my specular and normals read better on the ground.

(Outlined in Red) Now I've run into a problem though, If you look closely you can see a seam running where every face of the landscape is. I don't know if this is a new tiling problem occurring in my spec or normals, or if it is something like a smoothing group issue on the Landscape itself.

- Started sculpting of Windmill, wip posted.

860398_615084178506723_1333228857_o.jpg

859105_615088668506274_239883007_o.jpg