Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alice's texture [portfolio]

Hi all,
just wanted to show to the community my new texture-oriented portfolio, it is still in a w.i.p. state and the "about me" part is currently missing ;)

aliceandthetextures.blogspot.co.uk

C&C super welcome!

Thanks
Alice

Replies

• Stoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoy polycounter lvl 13
    I think the work is excellent, but I hate looking at blogs for portfolios. Consider making a site?

To clarify, section off into projects with less chuffa at the bottom.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    all_render_01.jpg

Hey there Alice, lovely work you've got there. The thing that bothers me the most is the uniqueness of most of the textures. Tiling and in shader blending is pretty much the standard these days. Show people that you can texture rather then sculpt and you'll get all kinds of great jobs. :)

But at a quick glance, on the artistic side it's an amazing job all around. Keep it up :D
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Not much of an environment artist and I love the stand alone presentation though I feel most environment artwork should be posted inside of a piece of land of some sort with a quick sky to view the piece in a surrounding that shows how It fits into the scene your trying to get across.

Much like the characters and their pedestals, love the work over all and the textures all do have a uniqueness to them.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I personally like it. The materials could do with some more fine tuning though. It's all reading like the same material to me. There isn't much of a material contrast. Keep up the great work though!
  • Kuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kuki polycounter lvl 8
    Well, I simply think that this env piece is amazing. Looks like a concept art. Could be a little busy but this stuff is top notch, amazing :)
  • DOPEMAN415
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOPEMAN415 polycounter lvl 10
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    You crushed that mini-environment. Stunning work. The other pieces at the bottom compared to it aren't at the same quality. That's the biggest thing to me. I would take off those projects till they match.

Site design is simple and nice. Great job!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    This is fabulous Alice! Good work, I want to see more.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice work!

- BoBo
  • rockstar6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rockstar6 polycounter lvl 11
    Impressive! really nice, this goes straight in my inspiration folder! Love the eye for detail.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Love the birds on the sign! Your overall aesthetic and art is really top notch. I do agree that some reuse or more efficient usage of UVs could help push the piece overall in terms of attractiveness to a potential employer, but your visual quality is already definitely there. Love the cliffs at the bottom as well.

I agree that a blog is not necessarily the best way to present the work though. A more classic gallery display would probably be better.
  • fightpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    Really nice work, fantastic use of colour and some of the smaller details (the birds) really add up to make the whole thing work extremely well.
  • RyanCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very impressive. Its nice to see these smaller focused pieces, allows for a much higher standard of polish and a much higher standard of work in a shorter time. Really inspirational, keep it up :)
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    Refreshing!

Good presentation :)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Love the scene Alice. Fantastic texture and color work. The little details like the birds and the leafs coming out of the grating really give this mini environment a lot of great personality.
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
    Absolutely incredible work, stunning. Im too busy staring to say much more really.
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work man! I can't remember the last time I've been so inspired by an environment art portfolio! I personally like how unique everything is, but I think d1ver does make a valid point
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    excellent work. absolutely love the colors!!!
  • Brandon Kern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon Kern polycounter lvl 11
    Holy balls this is good! Saved to inspirational folder!!!
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    I love the cloth materials :) Oh screw it- I love all of them :P
  • Alicce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!
    Thanks to all of you for your comments:)!

@Rhoutermans,Brandon Kern,roosterMAP,Archanex,Autocon,Ootrick,RyanCB,fightpunch,rockstar6,BoBo_the_seal,Tumerboy,DOPEMAN415,Kuki:
    Thank you!!

@poopinmymouth,Stoy: A site would be cooler I agree but I did not have much time to spend on this so I went for a blog as it was the "easier" solution, I tried to keep it as clean as possible in order to focus all the attention on the artworks though!

@Jeff Parrott: Yes the mini environment is in fact the piece I spent the most time on, but my future plans are to expand the other two projects 'till I have the same amount of work to display. I did publish these things even if they are not "complete" to bring a little variety and to show more textures!

@Tobbo: Thank you for the feedback, I could probably have done a better job with lighting as when I turn around the model/rotate the light I can see the differences in materials but judging it from the still frames on my folio I agree it looks more flat than it shoud!

@D4V1DC: I had the same thought, but creating a pedestral/little surrounding environment/sky would have taken me more time and I needed to publish my stuff then I decided to go for a focused presentation, rocks and column projects will be expanded further and they will have definitely a ground!

@d1ver: Thank you for replying me! I know you for me you are like a superstar, I read your papers while working on my stuff! Let me explain why I went for unique textures, the reasons were two: one is time, I have limited time to work on this things so I decided to invest all of it on the best possible artistic look, meaning I have not spent time to plan and research how to make my textures tileable/usable for other environments as this project was focussed 100% on quality. These things I am approaching on the other projects, they already have tily textures and they will have blendmaps and optimized UV etc..
    Reason two I wanted to have directional detail on most assets(dust on floor/walls for example) and I did not have the tech for it then I had to make the textures unique.

Thanks
    Alice
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    Beautiful texturing work Alicce! It's always nice to see a texture artist who isn't scared of color.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I can't crit on anything, it's all great! I can't wait to see you expand that mini-scene :) Great work.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Fuuucckkkkk A+.
  • SoulWind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SoulWind polycounter lvl 11
    The floor tile texture is beautiful, I can't get enough of it. You've got a good eye for this and I think you should keep going as you are. It's great work.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Wow, you're too kind, Alice. I'm just happy some of my stuff was of use
    [size=-2]I've got a new lecture on my youtube channel just in case [/size]
    :)

Anyway, you definitely made the right choice. Art is only as good as it looks and yours looks great!

Now if you'll demonstrate to potential employers the technical basis and due diligence to finish something bigger then a few assets you'll be golden. Seriously, though, I think a lot of places would hire you right away.:)

Keep it up!
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I'm in love with you concrete/brick and wood sculpts, excellent texturing too. Really nice work ! :)
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Bellissima! Great work, looking forward to more :)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Really amazing work. Alice. Keep it up. :)