Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] - Gate: Looking for some critique

Hey all,

I'm new to this whole 3d forum and this is my first post on one ever!

Just looking for get some advise/critique on this here gate I'm modeling out.

I'm pretty amateur as I'm sure you'll find out :p

Replies

• PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    This looks great, you need to put more work into it to get critic, that is all I can think :) Next, try to do one side, and then mirror to avoid doing work.

You are going to sculpt this after on zbrush/mudbox or go straight into diffusion?

You also have to add small details like the windows on the roof top, or the wood planks holding the bigger ones. I love the concept used for this!
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    also, to avoid geometry overlapping, try to merge them manually, that can be a process of its own. And if this is used for game assets try to used well spaced quads
  • Jpeppa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I realize there isn't too much to critique just yet lol but thank you for your post.

I don't plan on bringing it into mudbox. I actually have only played around with it for a little bit.

Working on the windows as we speak and same with the front wooden posts. I would like to sculpt it at some point but I still need to work on my topology and keeping it clean.

If anything it would be brought into Unity.

Normally I wouldn't overlap geometry like that, but they are separate pieces. In my mind it's as if I'm setting up a prefab in Unity. As I mentioned I am pretty amateur. :p

Thank you for the comments!
  • Jpeppa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selfish bump - and a question!

So I feel like this should be simple but I just can't seem to wrap my head around this one.

Is there a way to terminate a single edge loop that is otherwise ending as an n-gon rather than loop it around the entire mesh?

The attached picture should make it more clear.

Thanks in advanced!
  • Jpeppa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty, it's not much more but I have been so busy with work lately...

Anyway, here's what I got so far.

Added some smaller details such as posts, the smaller building off of the side, and half the bridge - ready for symmetry.
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    First crit would be to host ur images on an imagehost. 99% of the time I dont even click the thumbnails just cuz I'm that lazy..

Try to exaggerate ur shapes, keep it more low poly for ur first blockout and work from there. i.e. the roof parts are straight which should have a curve according to the concept. I also think the roof should be rotated a bit more if u know what I mean..

u can make this entire piece modular, what part of the wood parts can u tile, and just put all ur efforts into making these parts look as awesome as possible and building it from there.
    With a small model like this you can go all out, model each roof tile as a box and get that silhouette in there.

Show ur scene asap in a game engine such as UDK/Unity/Cry-engine, I used to render these skylight stuff as well at first but it's really a bad idea.

Other than that, it's a really cool concept to work from :) Good luck!
  • Stoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoy polycounter lvl 13
    If you were truly lazy, Rhoutermans, you'd have hoverzoom. : D

Other than that I agree. Practice to make it as modular as possible and use it to learn materials and setting it up in engine.
  • snoops3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snoops3d polycounter lvl 12
    looks like a good start I totally agree with Rhoutermans comments
  • Jpeppa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for the input!

I will be working on it tonight when I get home... however, my knowledge is all over the place with 3ds Max. It's like a really fragmented hard drive. I know how to bake and a few other tricks, yet there are some really simple beginner things I don't know about... mostly workflow stuff.

That being said, how should I modular-ize it? In my mind, I would make separate pieces out of:

the roof
    the base tower
    the extra trimmings on the tower such as the posts (for smaller modular details)
    the windows?
    the bridge and,
    the smaller side tower connecting to the bridge.

This could be close or totally off, but I would like to hear how you guys would approach this.

Thanks again!