Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Iguanodon Dinosaur Progress Thread

Hello Polycount

I'm currently working on designing an iguanodon for a university project. I wanted to share my concept before I start sculpting to see what people's opinions are and how it can be improved. I'm going with a 'Walking With Dinosaurs' style iguanodon like the one below, although with an alternative colour scheme.

Iguanodont.jpg

Iguanodon_silhouette_pc.jpg
Iguanodon_colour_pc.jpg

Iguanodon_concept_pc.jpg

So far I've just used an iguanodon skeleton image I found online to create a silhouette and then used this to do a paintover. Also a quick painting from a 3/4 angle to to give a better sense of the 3D forms.

Hoping you can give me some useful feedback to help me improve.

Replies

• fish4brains
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that I've started sculpting I'm resurrecting this thread. I've been using this anatomy diagram by Mark Hallet and a sculpt from this portfolio (http://dogportfolio.wordpress.com/) that I like as reference.
    iguanodon_muscles_Mark_Hallet.jpg
    iguanodon1.jpg

I've got the basic shapes and proportions in and trying to place the muscles at the moment. Any feedback, critique, tips, tutorials or pretty much anything else that comes to mind I would love to hear about. It would really help me out. Thanks :)

muscle_blockin.jpg
    muscle_blockin_2.jpg
  • fish4brains
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finally got round to finishing this thing, sorry for the lack of update. Here's the finished sculpt.
    sculpt_perspective.jpg

The Retop.
    retop_perspective.jpg

And here's what it looks like in UDK.
    IguanodonTest01.jpg

Feedback on all aspects of the project would be much appreciated - and if its so bad that you think it needs to be killed with a thousand bullets, then here are the UDK map, package and script files for you to run around and do just that :)

I used the 2012 07 version of UDK so it won't work with earlier versions.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/23231779/Iguanodon__Test_Map_rar

Thanks for your time.