Home General Discussion

Life of a character artist?

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
While it's not my number one priority, I'd like to know just what goes on in a character artist's life that makes the profession so competitive and hard to attain (as a future consideration).

I understand you need to have good anatomy skills but apart from that, is there anything about the job that really sets it apart from an environment artist (ex:photoshop, Zbrush, Maya)? Would it be creativity and appeal? I have a vivid imagination and can create highly original characters. Or is what I'm describing not even a character artist at all (more of a concept artist)?

Replies

• skankerzero
    It's a rare position because most studios don't need many character artists. They need more environment artists.
  • Hudson.L
    It's a rare position because most studios don't need many character artists. They need more environment artists.

I have to agree. There are tons of aspiring ones but only a few are chosen.

choose direct hot tubs
  • CrazyMatt
    What skanker said^ + its like you're the depended front runner of what comes out of marketing any game that seeks a face to be recognized that makes the game so special. Which is really all about the characters.

After I obtained the position, I realized going to places like PAX, GDC, etc. Your mark in making a game shine is really told in the big poster banners they have hanging up. I mean, you can blend and hide many things with environments. But with characters, a lot of of it has to be well executed. Or it really can give you, or from yourself seeing your work. A large face palming moment, if the art isn't executed just right.

Otherwise, in a character artist's daily life... depending on where you work. You are really doing a number of things. From concept art to modeling, texturing, rigging and skin weighting, as well as exporting+compiling and fully handling assets with writing scripts. It all really does vary from place to place. But the bulk of work it all does come down to, is a lot + patience.:)
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    JordanN wrote: »
    I have a vivid imagination and can create highly original characters. Or is what I'm describing not even a character artist at all (more of a concept artist)?

When I worked as character artist I needed almost nothing of this. The less "original" you are the better because as junior character artist they really want you to follow the concept 100%. At most you have to fill in the blanks when the concept is sketchy.

The less of your own style you bring in the better, because your art should match the art of the other artists. If you can tell by looking which characters are from which artist then there's a problem (and your art director sucks ;) )