Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Cambodian Temple

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
kevino025 polycounter lvl 10
Hello Polycounters,

I recently finished my first project in UDK. So far I am in love with UDK. I modeled, textured, and lid the scene. I also tweaked a bit the world properties. Do let me know if if there are any questions about the project.

One thing I will definitely do on my next project is to go easy on the DOF.

I will also enter this months Monthly Noob Challenge and would love some critiques to help me improve.

3SQC1cX.jpg

uVFZufB.jpg

boukehe.jpg

dGDVjlf.jpg

V32fWD9.jpg

uNMQjwM.jpg

Thank you for watching and thanks in advance for any feedback,
Kevin

Replies

• RaPtoR_v9600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    i dont think that cloth and buckets would survive long in the jungle you need to find more reference photos, add more towers stairs, more vegetation like grass sticking out from the floors etc
  • kevino025
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Raptor I will definitely study my reference better next time.

Cheers!
  • marcel gold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think this looks bloody brilliant. the engine really captures your textures that look stunning. as raptor said put grass or moss in cracks of the ground or even more bits of tress coming through the floor or the walls that will be cool i think.
  • kevino025
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Marcel, much appreciate it. I will definitely add more grass and moss like you and raptor said. I really like the idea of the trees coming out of the walls and the floor.

Will try to do this whenever I get some free time.

Thanks,
    Kevin
  • kevino025
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update,

I added more grass to the ground as well as moss all over, sadly it seems the moss is not to readable on the ground as it is on the pillars and the ceiling pieces. I also added more roots on the walls and the ground.

H5Yvj5m.jpg

0VYaEyU.jpg

17Qjm6B.jpg

0VYaEyU.jpg

CCdyIZV.jpg

I scaled up a pillar in order to make it look like a building or a temple at the distance. Not sure how I feel about the outcome of it yet.

qMR3RLe.jpg

Any feedback will be appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Kevin
  • Prtofdacrowd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prtofdacrowd polycounter lvl 8
    The one problem with your scene is I see the direct comparison of the UDK Tech Demo Angkor Watt inspired environment. I have passed a few of these environments by and never noticed it but for me this is really apparent in this yours.

Some of the texture work is good in the pillars and the trims, however the roof and the tree have some room for improvement. The cloth also, being a reusable asset has to many identifiable holes in the center of it, it may be worth your while to redistribute these, this will make it harder for the eye to identify its repetition.

You do have a good opportunity in the fact that there is a map and materials already inside the UDK install to directly compare and contrast. Also exploring that map and the tech thats involved in its creation will improve your scene dramatically, I would urge you to look at using spline loft actors for the trees overhanging roots, this will give you greater control, less hassle and better result.
  • kevino025
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Prtofdacrowd Thank you for pointing that out. I wasnt even aware of that demo. I googled it and I must say I definitely see your point. Since this was a project for a class I wasn't able to choose my own environment. I will definitely research the spline loft actors, anything that makes the work faster is
    usually great.

Sadly since Im working on other projects at the moment Im only able to do small adjustments to this one. I will try to find time to distribute the cloth to make less repeatable.

I truly appreciate you feedback on this.

Thanks,
    Kevin
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I also wouldn't rotate the pillars. Those are solid stone; they're not going to move any time soon without heavyweight intervention.