Home General Discussion

I love animation,but i am about unsure about carrer in CG

Hello, I am aspiring animator, been in this field for about 2-3 years,i am learning animation in school, is it, 3 years program school.

I would really like to work for game or live action movie. Especially in big companies.

Where i live, there is not game or movie companies, only TV studios. So for me the best way i think is to get some experience in TV animation and then to try to go for animation for game or movie.

My ideally country to go is Canada, have friends there.

But, the only thing i don't like in this, is the subsides. I have friends who stayed no more than couple of months or 1.5 year in one studio, and then they move on, and all the same thing. I also saw this on other animators that i don't know them.

But also saw someone who is same company for couple of years.

How to avoid subsides? And to get full time job in big studio, game or movie, i prefer both:)...

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    If you're going for film you'll almost certainly be on a contract for the duration of a single contract. It doesn't always happen like that, but it's the norm. Teams form for a single project and then dissolve at the end.

In games studios tend to like to keep their teams together to a greater degree. There's always folks who move on at the end of a project, but the core team will generally stick together, assuming there aren't any financial issues or the like.

In any case, a really good animator is a rare and beautiful thing. If you get your shit together you shouldn't ever have any real problems finding work.
  • Gyrz
    Would like to tell me, why movie industry tend to have contract on single projects?
    So, in game industry is more safe than movie or?

What do you mean that there is rare good animators?
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Its just the way the film industry is. You have a period of production which heavily involves artists but then there is a LOT of down time once the film is finished so many teams are disbanded. Unless you have an established studio like Pixar or ILM or Weta that stuff is the norm.

The game industry might be a bit more stable but the same thing happens there but definitely depends on the studio.

Good animators are somewhat common but great animators are rare indeed. What Jackablade means is that the industry is flooded with amateur animators whose skills just don't stand out. With the advent of Animation Mentor and other schools like that the number of great animators to amateur ones is probably 1 in every 50 (just pulling that number out of my ass)
  • Gyrz
    Hahah i got it. Would like to give me some info of good establish game studios in Canada?
  • Velktri
  • Gyrz
    Thanks.

I have one more question.

Is it true that no matter how good you are, you will be affected by subsides?
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Gyrz wrote: »
    Thanks.

I have one more question.

What do you think is bad about subsidies? Unless you're planning on starting your own studio you won't have any say at all in where the money comes from.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I think you might be misusing the word "subsidies", although I'm not entirely sure what word you're actually looking for.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Gyrz wrote: »

Subsides; Assuming you are talking about small gigs you get for CG that are based on the style and flow of your work, then no, they dont. It however paces up the workflow and makes it easier for you to do things and faster. It also kind of give you a view of what you are getting in to.