Home Technical Talk

Modeling and texturing dilemma!!

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
I recently modeled Cloud(ff7) in Maya using front and side references from the web.Problem is I pretty much thought my model was spot on until texturing.It seems my model isn't close to how Cloud should look or maybe my texturing isn't spot on.I have always preferred modeling to sculpting because of precise control of my mesh.
Seems I would have to try Hazardous workflow in zbrush,where he paints on the model to get a feel of where his sculpting is going or the look he is going for.I am not a big fan of zbrush navigation but I can clearly see how vertex painting is very valuable while creating a model.Mudbox is great but requires uvmapping meaning a lot of texture stretching is going to occur when moving the mesh around.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Maya has 3d paint. Do a quick automated UV, so you can paint now, and redo the UVs if the model is stretched out.

But your model is probably pretty close already, so there won't be much stretching at this point, so you can probably make semi-final UVs.

Same thing with Mudbox.

Anyhow, Polypaint in ZBrush is pretty decent. If you machine can handle the poly resolution needed. You can bake it out to an auto-UV layout made super-quick in ZBrush, and then bake it to your "real" lowpoly UVs in Xnormal or Maya. Pretty good workflow.

Improve your drawing and painting skills, and you will start to feel the same way about those as you do about your modeling. In fact, most artists feel the opposite way.
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks.After reading ur comment,I have been moving vertices around,tweaking and refining the model to get it to look like Cloud.I think I need to train my eyes to read features and likeness without textures on models.
    I am not a big fan of sculpting.I kinda prefer modeling my mesh instead.