Home Technical Talk

Setting up a Large Camera Array

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
I am researching the feasibility of using about 20 cameras in Cryengine stitched together, and rendering out of each camera's sequence separately, then stitching them together in after effects. Now making that happen isn't really the hard part. The hard part is getting the cameras to be aligned as close to seamless as possible.

Even with two I am having a hard time figuring out what would be a good way to set it up.
3Q1uU6E.jpg
This is what I want to try and get, except have all the camera outputs be aligned, without making it a 360 degree panorama, I want to have it be one direction.

I'm sure if I knew math well I could figure this out mathematically but I really suck at it.

And yes, it is important to have about 20 or so cameras. I've googled extensively and nothing that I can use came up.

Replies

• Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Don't really get what you want, but just overlap them slightly for a bit of safe zone?

Also, if you know the camera FoV angle, a bit of trigonometry maths can help you solve this easily.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Don't really get what you want, but just overlap them slightly for a bit of safe zone?

Also, if you know the camera FoV angle, a bit of trigonometry maths can help you solve this easily.

I don't know trig, as I said, I am terrible at math. The goal is to not need a safezone, and to be able to output it straight into after effects.

At an FOV of 20 I get this when I align them directly next to eachother. SugpwwG.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    My boss suggested using a 120mm and that should work he said with them equidistant from one another.
  • rube
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    since you're using a perspective camera you're never going to get it to just work, at least not the way I think you want it to work. Using a longer lens on the camera will help though.
  • e-freak
    the problem is that a perspective camera has a run-away-point on the horizon (where all lines collapse). the tighter the lens (smaller fov, longer lens) the further away the point is - making the lines look more parallel further into the scene.

however, there will always be distortion - there's three ways of doing this: keep the cameras all on the same spot and rotate them (360° degree), keep them next to each other, but angle them inwards and have them all point at the same focus point OR last - use one camera and have it travel left to right and stitch the frames together.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    rube wrote: »
    since you're using a perspective camera you're never going to get it to just work, at least not the way I think you want it to work. Using a longer lens on the camera will help though.

I found that I at 15-20 FOV I get decent results, my boss meant mm not the FOV, which I don't think Cryengine cameras have, just the FOV setting sadly.

Thanks for the replies though guys.