Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    oh yes.
    a million times yes.

edit:
    the only thing that worries me is the easy of bringing something like this into a game engine, it looked doable until i saw the part about no weight painting
  • bejkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bejkon polygon
    Saw the video yesterday and at 3:14 he mentions The Setup Machine Game Edition and that got me more excited then the fancypants deformation haha :D
    Would be perfect when working on smal/medium project with no dedicated setup artist.

Looks really cool tho!
  • tmarshall3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tmarshall3d polycounter lvl 4
    I actually know him in person! He did a live demo of his 'alpha' version on the same night Autodesk was showing their Gameware demo. There is a possibility that (autodesk) they are going to buy this from him and add it to one of the new versions of Maya/Max!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It looks great, I'd love to be able to rig a arm that quickly and get decent results. But with what MikeF said, I'm a bit worried this would not translate well to a game engine unless there is a way to convert it to a weight painted rig, they did say its pretty expensive cpu wise.
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    According to the FAQ for ART, it can't be used in a game engine... However, I'm liking the sound of TSM:Game Edition... That sounds flippin' sweet! I wish someone could tell him to ditch ART and get TSM:GE out there...
  • Denny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    Wouldn't it be possible to create a skeletal chain for games and bind it to the rig generated in the ART toolkit? We wouldn't automatically get the deformation / skin weights but some tricks to translate the basic behaviors might be possible.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Denny, if you don't get the deformation, the whole point to the system is lost. But even if it doesnt translate to games, plenty of people could still use it. Especially for all your character artists that just want to pose their stuff out for show.
  • Cexar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    It would totally be possible to incorporate this into a game pipe without getting the skinning. I mean it's a shame that you can't get the skinning but depending on how you want to deform the character there is no perfect preset-deformation for every character.

tl;dr: This beats doing every humanoid one at a time and skinning is something you'll probably end up changing anyway.
  • JoeCyriac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really hope they get the funding for this. I've been using The Setup Machine for a while and it's been pretty great so far.
  • Denny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    slipsius >> I got the impression that there were some extras in there apart from deformation, the one-click joint placement for example. If we're lucky it might be possible to 'translate' the basic paint weights they showed in the video with some hacking. Just getting initial binary weights would save a lot of time for someone who wants to get a basic rigged character done for testing. I'm just throwing ideas into the air even if they're far fetched. :)