Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mystic Waterfall photo manip

I'm a Graphic Design student and this is a project for my photoshop class. I'm the best photoshop student in the class.(I'm not trying the the sound like a douche) The teacher showed me a similar concept and told me to make one similar, but better.

I'm very happy with the end result. This is also the first time I don't do something that is horror, bloody, gruesome, etc...

I am handing this in the afternoon or early tomorrow. I would love some feedback before I submit the final file.

Replies

• Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    the_Adri wrote: »
    I'm the best photoshop student in the class.(I'm not trying the the sound like a douche)

Well then.....

About the image I don't know what to say really, it feels like it's missing a lens flare.

Everything seems quite poorly integrated, you could at least spend some time to cut out the t-shirt properly.
  • the_Adri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you could at least spend some time to cut out the t-shirt properly.

That I can agree with.
    Well then.....
    Everything seems quite poorly integrated

How so?
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the dolphins and the rock structure have a blurry reflection, however the shirt does not. Also the waterfall is missing a reflection completely.

I mean the idea is to make it look realistic, however there is nothing here that fouls me.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I agree with mr stromberg.

Basicly I think the colors are to vibrant and different from each other, the different elements could use some color correction before merging.

On top of that everything has some sort of bloom halo to match things together which is not working in my opinion.

Everything has different focus and detail value, for example the island in the background is more in focus and more detailed then the hands of the main character.

This isnt bad for a student, but not to be a douche, you could defenetly improve =)
  • the_Adri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the dolphins and the rock structure have a blurry reflection, however the shirt does not. Also the waterfall is missing a reflection completely.

I mean the idea is to make it look realistic, however there is nothing here that fouls me.

Are you talking about the reflection of the shirt or just the shirt? My teacher told me to lower the blur on the shirt.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reflection of the shirt.

Also lotet went more in detail than me.
  • the_Adri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About the blur again, would I be better blurring the entire image or just keep the guy unblurred?

I'll post up some updates later on.
  • the_Adri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made the final touches and handed it in. Thankfully, he loves it. I sent him two versions.

The second one has less blur on the shirt.

I had to make it smaller because it wouldn't upload. The real size is 17 by 11.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Well, if your teacher loves it, then it must be good...

Where is the focal point supposed to be in this? I'd assume it's supposed to be somewhere the shirt opens, but most of it is blurred out. My eyes are confused.
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    well,i'm not an artist,but that shirt's reflection puzzles me.
    From what i see,u just mirroed shirt into the water and blurred it.
    Its not how the reflection would behave.
    That's more like distorted image of a shirt underwater than its reflection.
    And,if we're to assume shirt is dipped into water,then it has to have both.Right?

here's noobastack illustration
    X3f23.jpg

that shirt on the wated is not wavy enought to give away impression of being a reflection on those multiple waves u've got there.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I... what?

I'm not even going into the conceptual bit because I guess some people are just in to random weird stuff. Also there is enough technically wrong to mention:
    -it's brighter than a tie-dye shirt, and the bloomsparkleshine is off the handle too. This makes everything shouty and clash. Brightness is a tool, like bold fonts and capitals. This image is the visual equivalent of writing a letter in all-caps.
    -the reflections you have don't work at all. A wavy ocean does not reflect a mirror-like image. Not even a blurred one. It reflects a lot of shiny speckles on top of each waterdrop:
    2344599285_178fcfc50d_o.jpg
    -You've got very inconsistent details. The inside of the shirt is far sharper than the shirt model, even though they're the same distance. Then the dolphins are sharp again, so it's some depth-of-field effect. Not to mention that there's pinstriping on the chest, but it's almost completely gone on the arms and torso-sides.
    -the sun of the water is in the back-right, but the lighting on the shirt is from the front-right
    -there are a looot of tangents.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I'm the best photoshop student in the class.

For future reference, I would NEVER start a post, conversation, or statement in general with this.

Other than that, for a beginner PS class, not bad. It is better than a lot of the documents I see come through when I am tutoring (tutor photoshop, modeling, sculpting, etc. here at school). Like others have said, the draftsmanship could increase. Its a good concept, good base images, just needs some practice. May be "the best in the class", but far from mastering the program.

Clean up the shirt cut, and sharpen the image. Making it blurry to hide mistakes and give it "mood" just make it feel sloppy. If its blurry due to small images, then spend more time finding base images.
  • the_Adri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r wrote: »
    For future reference, I would NEVER start a post, conversation, or statement in general with this
    What I really meant to say, the teacher gave this project because I am the best student in the class when it comes to photoshop. I never meant to come across as a douche.
    Add3r wrote: »
    Other than that, for a beginner PS class, not bad. It is better than a lot of the documents I see come through when I am tutoring (tutor photoshop, modeling, sculpting, etc. here at school). Like others have said, the draftsmanship could increase. Its a good concept, good base images, just needs some practice. May be "the best in the class", but far from mastering the program.

Clean up the shirt cut, and sharpen the image. Making it blurry to hide mistakes and give it "mood" just make it feel sloppy. If its blurry due to small images, then spend more time finding base images.

For the blur, I purposely blurred everything because I was going for a shinny, sparkly effect.

Honestly, I don't know what to believe. Two of my teachers, including my ps teacher say they love it and you guys here say it sucks. I want this to be a portfolio piece and I have idea where to go from here. I really don't know what to do.
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    I am handing this in the afternoon or early tomorrow. I would love some feedback before I submit the final file.

Parakeet doesnt belong there, replace him with well fed pelican

Also, that dolphin's asshole look like an eye from this angle, I think this is very confusing
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Honestly, I don't know what to believe. Two of my teachers, including my ps teacher say they love it and you guys here say it sucks. I want this to be a portfolio piece and I have idea where to go from here. I really don't know what to do.

Compared to your fellow students it might be good. Compared to professional artists and thousands of people that are trying to get into the industry, it isn't impressive. It's a good start though, we here at polycount are very critical people. People do not improve from praise, people improve from critisism.