Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Subdivision modelling

Hey chaps, quite a long time forum lurker here but finally decided to jump on board and get involved.

My background is in arch-viz, something I feel really quite proficient in, however I've recently taken to modelling my own pieces of furniture and such, rather than use use stuff from furniture packs (i.e. evermotion) or individual items purchased on turbosquid/designconnected.

The reasons being;

1) A lot of the model packs such as the evermotion stuff contain average models of invariably rather hideous furniture.

2) The designconnected stuff is beautifully modelled and textured, but when trying to furnish an entire scene with bits every time it gets very expensive.

3) I really above all else want to learn.

What I've found is that I can use my normal modelling techniques for the most part, and have had some mixed successes with subdivision modelling, but am coming unstuck in places and could really use some tips.

http://www.blastation.com/products/sofas/qvarto/qvarto

Currently i'm trying to produce a detailed model of this sofa (it is modular, so just the end/corner and the middle piece) and I'm finding it easy enough to block out the rough shape, but get quite stuck when it comes to adding seams, and also that funky "groove" that joins the seat to back-rest. Not only this, but I can't help but feel that although I've got the basic shape together, my model is probably more poly heavy than it needs to be (pre-turbosmooth).

Any help/tips/sketches on how you'd attempt it would be very much appreciated.

Replies