Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

3D Character Model(s) - Steampunk Artificer Gal

ABOUT ME:

I'm an old-school game developer - so much so that it's likely the projects I've worked on are older than most people here. One of my first jobs was working for Task Force Games, and I developed and programmed a number of BBS doors back in the day.

Having been out of the loop for quite some time (as well as most of my recent game ideas being well beyond the scope of any individual, least of all myself) I've decided to break back into the biz with a 3D platformer.

While I can do a fair amount of modeling (sets and props in particular), I have little doubt that someone more proficient could create a better model for the character than I (and in far less time). If someone was willing to assist me in this department, I could focus on the gameplay and mechanics.

THE PROJECT:

The player character is a gal in her late teens, and very much a tomboy-ish tinkerer. Audrey Ramirez from Disney's Atlantis is a good example of the archetype, though I'd prefer the character to be more 'ethnically neutral'.

As for her wardrobe, I'm envisioning bellbottom-ish overalls, work boots, collared long-sleeve shirt with the sleeves rolled up, old-timey welding goggles (normally raised to her forehead), work gloves, and a tool belt with fanny pack. Hair drawn back into a high ponytail, the tip of which comes to somewhere around her collar. Like Audrey, her figure is decidedly feminine without being 'gratuitous'.

Preferred design style is something in the middle ground between Audrey and the avatars used in Wizard 101 - stylized and a bit tooney, but not overly so. The game world is decidedly steampunk, and the story/gameplay will delve into some of the genre's darker elements, but I'm aiming for an overall atmosphere which won't be liable to induce nightmares for younger gamers.

Primary model needed at this point will be for in-game use, which I'm thinking should be somewhere in the 800-1.5k range - though I would also hope the same artist can provide a higher-res version for use in engine-driven cutscenes once the game nears completion. As much as I'd love to go high-res on everything and target PCs and consoles, I'd also like to retain the possibility for web and mobile releases of the same game.

THE OUTCOME:

Ideally, I would like to work with someone who would be able to follow up later with a few other character models (and perhaps even a bit of concept art). While I have every intention of producing a marketable game, there's not much telling just how well-polished I will be able to make this at my current skill level working with Unity.

There is not much likelihood of this project being any sort of money-maker, but one can never truly predict the future - for all I know, this might even become the next big-name franchise. While I am unable to offer any sort of compensation at this point, but will eagerly pass along appropriate royalties for any revenue this project happens to garner. At the very least, the modeler will get credit for their contribution and exposure.

The most probable outcome of this endeavor will be as a demo or promotional offer for my next project, which I intend to feature as part of a crowdfunding effort. Should we enter into a more steady collaboration, I would like to keep working with the same artist(s) on subsequent projects - skewing royalties in the their favor as a thank-you for their assistance with this one.

Please give me a shout-out in this thread or contact me via Yahoo Messenger (twylafox) if interested. Many thanks in advance.