Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modern Mercenary Character by Joshua Morrison

Hey guys I just finished up a mercenary/soldier character for my portfolio and was looking for critiques.

mercenary_close_up_by_joshua_morrison-d5sylg9.jpg

mercenary_sides_by_joshua_morrison-d5syllf.jpg

mercenary_tris_by_joshua_morrison-d5sz3yi.jpg

mercenary_highpoly_close_up_by_joshua_morrison-d5sylt5.jpg

mercenary_highpoly_by_joshua_morrison-d5sylw7.jpg

Replies

• harricool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good one...but not getting the feel of a mercenary...his face should be more rough and tough...if u had played far cry 3 there is a character called sam becker..just check it out.and .his face is too clean without a scar, bruise etc...mercenaries are meant to be hardcore warriors who has seen a lot of blood....just refine it u would get a better result...and please cut the rifle coz since it not finished people eyes would go on it rather than your character...but u r doin good
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good! The detail in the sculpt for the body is fantastic, I can tell you put a lot of time into it.

Right now a few things are letting it down.
    - The texture could use some love. You should post your flats. I'd look into adding some subtle color variation (especially on the skin) as well as some dirt and grime to help break up the texture. I think you could probably add some more unique details to your spec as well, but I'd have to see it to know what you're working with.
    -The anatomy of the face is off. The rest of your character is looking pretty realistic aside from the face. Adding some more realistic details to the texture will help, but I can see judging by the sculpt that some of the base forms are a bit off.

You clearly know what you're doing in the 3d applications, I'd say you should go back and brush up on some anatomy and other foundational skills and your next character should be stellar.
  • ljsketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
    I agree with Shiniku...sculpting skills are superb. The anatomy and texture do need a little more "love". What I see with anatomy:
    Head form is box like from front view, eye sockets seem off from 3/4 view. Proportions look pretty good though.

The clothing/folds look really good. I could use some tips on those ;).
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    I think what the others are hinting at with the head are spot on. I might add that it appears as if the cheekbones and forehead are the widest part of the skull. In reality the widest part should be just behind the ears, about in line with the tallest part of the skull. Speaking of the ears, let them stick out away from the skull a bit more, this can add a lot of character to the silhouette. Are you sculpting in orthographic or perspective view? These things should be readily apparent in an ortho-front view.

As far as the textures go, I think the major issue is that they lack any significant variation in value so all of your beautiful sculpting gets lost in this sea of olive-green. Try to accentuate the different pieces of gear with some hard value shifts.
  • JoshuaMorrisonInk
    soldier_maps_by_joshua_morrison-d5uxwt2.jpg

Hey guys sorry I missed your post, but thank you for the feedback! I know my texture work is something I need to improve on so thank you for all the tips. :D

I have also been working on anatomy some since this character based off of feedback I have revived.