Home General Discussion

Apple cinema display a1082 advice

Probably a long shot but I picked up an as-is Apple 23" Cinema display at our local university surplus yesterday for $25, missing the power supply thinking I would be able to pick one up cheap on the internet. Now I find out they sell for like $100-150 which is annoying.

So I'm wondering if someone who is more familiar with apple displays knows if anyone ever made a generic/knock off of this adapter?

The Monitor is a Apple 23" Cinema Display model a1082

The power supply/adapter thing is an Apple A1097

I'm also wondering if anyone has experience with this monitor, if its a well regarded panel I would feel better about spending the money on the proper apple adapter, but if its nothing special I will probably just cut my losses.

Replies

• AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Maybe set up an ebay alert for the part? My experience buying used LCD control boards and other monitor parts is that the buy it now prices are totally unreasonable but when they get listed for auction it will go for a more realistic value.
  • EarthQuake
    TeeJay: Its the silver HD version with matte screen from what I can tell. 1920x1200 @ 14ms, probably S-IPS or H-IPS from my research so far, which should be a pretty high end panel.

Alec: yeah, I've got a saved search now, looking at sold listings I might be able to get one for $50 or so, I would feel better about that.
  • walkonsky
    Offline / Send Message
    walkonsky polycounter lvl 11
    i think you made quite a bargain with this... when i was looking for a new screen a short while ago (you might remember my thread), i found that screen as well. they are sold for far more than 250€... if you are able to get a power supply for 125$, do it! ;)
    (all assuming the screen works - can't you take the screen back to the university and try with one of the power supplies they are using? just to check if it might be worth buying one for yourself?)
  • EarthQuake
    They didn't have a power supply there, which is why it was as-is/untested.

I bit the bullet and bought one from ebay for $100, found a listing that allows returns, so if it turns out the display is fubar I'll just send it back, if not i've got a ACD for $125, can't really complain.