Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Abandoned Submarine Base

Among other things, I have been working on improving the lighting in this UDK scene. Would love some fresh eyes to tell me what they think!

Rommel_Dumaguin%283D_Environment_Artist_Level_Designer%29-SS3.jpg

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Here are my initial thoughts.

1) It doesn't look very abandoned, just looks a little dirty. I think the feeling of abandonment comes from broken environment pieces, nature taking over, cracking concrete, rusted metal, dripping pipes, and stuff like that.
    2) Lighting is going to be a huge issue no matter how much you mess with it, because you only have one light source, maybe a second off camera. Also that one or two lights are pure white lights which really flatten out the scene. Considering adding those colored wall lights a lot of underground stuff has, and/or some kerosene lamps to get variation in the lighting as well as color.
    3)The scene is really lacking a focal point, or something interesting to really look at. My eye just keeps getting draw to that light right in the center that is super white. Maybe putting something on those tracks would be interesting, like a nukelear missile.

Keep going though, hope that helps.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Bland, noisy texture. Looks dated, like it was created for a game that came out in 2004. Nothing in the scene says to me abandoned or submarine. The barrels and door look more like concrete than metal. There is no hinges on the door. The track could use a bit more of evidence for what it is used for. The handles on the door look to weak for how big and heavy the door is. It might be a good idea to have something that warns people a cart is coming or the track is being used, like a light or something to let people know you shouldn't stand on the tracks.
  • Ninjawockee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I love the feedback! Back to work!
  • juraiknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juraiknight polycounter lvl 3
    It's a nice start, but it does look more like an underground base/cargo area than it does a Sub base at the moment. I think submarine areas are more cylindrical with a lot of pipes running along the ceilings. As for the metal textures, I feel as if it comes off more as concrete because of the brush you're using to put your color variations and the fact that you have basically matte grey with a lighter form as your two main colors along with the dirt. Even though technically metal is grey in real life, you have to exaggerate in 3d a lot of the times. Maybe try using a lighter gray-blue as your base color and work from there. Start with that, add color variation, then add the scratches later.
  • Ninjawockee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More pipes and less concrete. Got it :). Thanks jurai!