Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval Survival Horror [WIP]

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Lord Waffles polycounter lvl 10
Hello polycount,

I'm still pretty new to the forums, and to modeling at that (only been seriously trying to learn modeling for a few months now).

With that being said, a good friend of mine is a pretty good programmer and we decided it could be fun to try to make an android game. If all turns out well it will set the lore for a small PC game, which should help out the resume ;).

We decided it would be fun and very challenging to make a multiplayer medieval zombie survival 'horror' for the android market. Multiplayer will be more indirect than anything. The game is a mix between a tower defense and a...hero defense where the AI survivors that are helping you are the direct stats/hero upgrades of another player. It will be turn based by wave similarly to how the game Draw Something makes you take turns. Each wave can be played whenever you want, however you are unable to play the following wave till all players play their wave (game modes will dictate how long each player has to do their turn).

At least this is what we hope it will end up being, we shall see :)

Just finished the first survivor class, a templar! (pretty original I know)

Templar.jpg

I'm new to super low poly modeling so take it easy on me!

Replies

• Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would ditch that entire mess you've created on the helmet to create the inset for the helmet. You could get away with making the helmet hexagonal like its wireframe profile suggests and just paint in the inset and save yourself a bunch of tris. I'm not opposed to the major silhouette changes that you've made, but the inset is unnecessary. The triangles you devoted to the current state of the helmet would be much better served by adding in another span for animation in the torso.

Also, for something this low res, there's no real appreciable difference in the 256 vs. 512 texture sheets (Which I think is kind of a good thing) so I'd just ditch the 512 and save yourself some texture memory.

It's looking pretty good so far, adding those tweaks should help it out a lot. Keep in mind also that any double-sided polygons like your pauldrons appear to be, will count as double their tri-count that Maya gives you because the engine needs to render both sides of the polygon instead of just one side like a closed object normally has.
  • Lord Waffles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback. I'm not sure where more edge loops are needed? Maybe another near the waste and maybe some extra polys in the armpit to help the deformation.

I was unsure how double sided polys worked. I guess I thought it wouldn't be double sided unless...you made it double sided? It makes sense that it will count as 4 tris so I did as you suggested and closed the helm up.

Helm_Fix.PNG

And I also made some adjustments to the silhouette of his body around his belt. Added some more polys to make his front looks less like a block. I'm not sure if they will cause problems in the future, but i'm sure you guys will have some ideas.

Chest_Fix.PNG

Thanks Again Der Hollander for taking the time to help out!
  • Lord Waffles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been awhile since I had some spare time to work on this so I thought I would throw up a small update. I was working on some modular pieces for a temple/castle ruins kind of scene for the android game. I'm probably going to keep as much as possible on one texture sheet that will be like 1024 on release. Any tips or suggestion or critics welcome as always!

Only got to work on a few parts, here are the models. Max poly count on any part is 127 tris (on the detailed pillar) which might be a bit high.
    Temple_Andriod.PNG

Texture map: Currently 2048
    Texture_Sheet.jpg