Home Technical Talk

Characters for mobile game

hi!

i wanna make a character for a mobile game, but i have no idea what should be the polygon budget. lets take the main character from 9mm.

9MM.jpg

What do u think whats his polycount, texture size? i dont think they used normal map, but his face, and jacket seems to have specular map.

I know in GTA the polycount per character was about 2200. texture 256x256. but it doesnt look as detailed.

mzl.jijsxzei.320x480-75.jpg

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    id say there is definitely a normal map on the top pic. The wrinkles on the jacket wouldnt interact with the specular exponent if it was just using the mesh normals.

its always hard to say what is the optimal polycount for a single asset on any kind of platform, you need to look at the scene as a whole and then determine what would be an acceptable overall count for the device in question. And polycounts are just one aspect to consider here, you need to also worry about texture sizes, shaders, animations etc..

any mobile game i've worked on never exceeded 1k for characters
    props usually sat around 250 tri's max.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    triangles aren't the issue provided you're not being silly, shaders are the big hit on pretty much all mobile platforms

3k is with 512square maps is probably a sensible ballpark for a portfolio piece
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Some time ago I had to do an Arttest for Gameloft.
    The specs were 5k triangles and 1024² diffuse/normal/specular.

But like poopipe said a 3k 512² maps character is probably a good estimate
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    bb0x wrote: »
    Some time ago I had to do an Arttest for Gameloft.
    3k 512² maps character is probably a good estimate

yeah thats not a bad estimate at all. depends on the game and which devices they aim for, you could get away with 5k or even 7-10k with 1024x1024 maps on the latest devices if the scenery and lods are low poly enough.
  • npfargp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks to all for sharing your opinion. I know its a very "depends on" question, but 3k and 526x526 sounds reasonable, so i gonna stick to that.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    its 512x512 :P