Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment art that I hope can motivate fellow env artists

Ell
Greetings everybody
I have experience and am working in the industry but trying to get better. There are huge gaps in my talent right now that I've been in the process of rooting out (never ending battle)
I really hope some of my latest personal work will inspire a few of you. Feel free to contact me about anything, I'm an open book as far as my process and approach to game scenes for newbies. Thanks guys and gals.

https://vimeo.com/55727974

unreal01.jpgunreal02.jpgunreal06.jpgmaya04.jpg

Replies

• Ell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ell
    Keep pushing those pixels

unreal07.jpg
    unreal08.jpg
    unreal09.jpg
    unreal11.jpg
  • Ell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ell
    Not many assets, less is more I've found.

maya06.jpg
    maya07.jpg
    scene01.jpg
  • Ell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ell
    Some wireframes and textures

flattop01.jpg
    flattop02.jpg
    flattop03.jpg
  • Ell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ell
    I different scene. I wanted to work on a water shader and make some wet rocks.

https://vimeo.com/48120368

m1.jpgm2.jpg
    m5.jpgm12.jpg
  • Ell
  • Ell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ell
    Trying to make it fun, simple and artistic. Failing in some regards but I'm happy with it. Trying some interesting post processing tricks.

whim01.jpgwhim02.jpgwhim03.jpgwhim04.jpg
  • Ell
  • Ell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ell
    Get in closer for the build process.
  • Ell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ell
    two more wireframes and textures
  • OverlordNeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff, I rarely do any environmental stuff but this certainly gives me the inspiration to work on it.
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    Very good work, thanks for sharing.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    You might not want to attach images, people wont look at them.
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    Dear, anyone who wants to be lazy and not click on those attachments

Do it anyways.

Cool work!
  • Ell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ell
    Hey thanks a lot guys! I really appreciate it. Alex you're right, I'm new to posting on polycount still getting the hang of it here. I've updated the thread a little as per your advice, I'm going to streamline it a little more when I get more time for sure.

Neko I'm glad I could help a little. It's good to keep trying things we haven't done in a while to keep from getting rusty.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    It's okay, just trying to help out, I looked at them anyways for what it's worth;)
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    sweet work man! definitely inspiring :)
  • Elod.H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elod.H polycounter lvl 11
    Wow.. this is some amazing stuff. It shows that you have some serious experience.

One small critique to maybe improve the presentation of your work: at every scene in your video.. after a while I felt that I want to see the next one.. but.. the same scene was still dragging on. I feel the video is way too slow paced and I know that when you are presenting a showreel or something to an employer.. it needs to be fast paced. Show less of each scene in my opinion because it feels too slow at the moment.
    But that's only my opinion :) .

Thanks for the inspiration and keep it up!
  • ASGUARDVIKING
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very awesome work! I really like the Zbrushed examples, makes me think of new ways i can make assets.
  • Ell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ell
    Hey there Viking, glad I could help! here's some small tips that really helped me along with environment zbrushing, maybe they can help you too.

Don't think about how you want your assets too look as much as how they were made in the real world.

Wet rocks; water will chip and erode rocks exposing layers but also smooth them unlike most rocks with exposed layers do to earthquakes.

zb01.jpg

Bark is not extruded out of the surface, it gradually grows on top of itself, uneavenly in some areas.
    I also added a little painterly flare to my tree (always add your own cool stuff to your models in zbrush)

zb02.jpg

Horizontal and vertical striations of rocks and cliffs show their growth when exposed. It helps to make the detail larger and more apparent if it's a distance piece and it uses a smaller texture map or else it's awesomeness will get lost in the pixels.

zb03.jpg
  • Ell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ell
    Elod.H You're absolutely right about the length of that vid, glad I still have the project file so I think I'll cut it down a little pretty soon. Thanks for the words and tip, greatly appreciated!
  • ASGUARDVIKING
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips EII! They are very good, how did you achieve the rock layers and the cliff face? Zbrush noise or good ol hand sculpting?
  • JJagwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, everything looks incredible. Thanks for sharing and I hope you continue to post stuff!

I have a question though - I'm doing some level design inside of 3ds max, and every tutorial I watch (for example making realistic rocks and cliffs) wants me to make a texture map specifically for that one object. . do you use tons of those? Or do you have any tips on making everything look good using 1 or 2 tiled textures?
  • Ell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ell
    Viking
    I love to hand sculpt everything I can, the only stuff I don't is the fine detail noise which I get from projecting alpha masks.

Quick tip: Draw some thick lines horizontally across the model with the mask. Invert the mask, now just use any brush to pull out or push in some of those rock layers.

Jagwire

Under the ship crash screenshots you'll see the 8 main assets I used, if you look closely at the environment you'll see that I just repeated them all over the place in order to keep the resolution high no matter how close. The huge cliffs are the same size texture as everything else which is why the camera never gets close. if I wanted to bring those cliffs in closer to the player I would need a repeatable texture.

Just about all games use repeatable textures in their environments which is why I'm surprised that there aren't more tutorials on that. To be honest making cliffs and mountains look decent enough with repeatables is easy, making them look awesome takes a lot of trickery.

Below is a screenshot from id's Rage(Which I had nothing to do with, those guys are really good), I know that they used mega textures giving them freedom to meld assets together better but that aside. Given this task I might build 5 or 6 different large chunks of canyon, and bake down only their normal maps. Since those normals are specific to each canyon asset they would look great from afar but blur a lot up close, so then I would create a repeatable normal, Diffuse, spec.... to also add on top of that canyon assets normals for when the player gets close.

I would apply the same shader to everything, this shader would hold the street, sand, rocky sand, and canyon wall repeatable materials, and then go into the map and vert paint where I need everything.

I'm sorry if that sounds really confusing, I should put together a tutorial or something. But for your scene I think you would need the ability to vert paint different areas, say a damp cliff base, a cliff wall, and a dirt and grassy top, and then use clever geometry modeling to
    make it look cool and different everywhere for example. As well as peppering in some other rocks and canyon stalagmites as they did in Rage to spice it up haha.

rage.jpg
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow really awesome stuff. I really like the last desert scene the most. Thanks for the inspiration.
  • JJagwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am speechless. I never thought you could create something that beautiful using so few assets. Wow. I looked pretty damn hard at that scene and I thought those models were just a tiny sample!

Thanks so much for the very detailed example! You don't even know how helpful this post was. It is really exciting to see how you go about making these. Confidence and sanity restored, man. Thank you thank you thank you
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Learned alot in a short amount of time here :)
  • Ell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ell
    Hey I appreciate your responses! It's good to hear that I can help out a little bit.

Yes you can have many duplicates of an asset (many actors) in a scene. as long as they have a separate uv channel for lighting, the lighting build will make all the assets play well together.
  • Ell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ell
    My latest WIP project. two screen grabs in Unreal Engine 3 of a section of the environment. My challenge this time was to figure out a better more realistic lighting technique and to avoid using any photos at all in Photoshop. Every detail was hand painted or sculpted. Huge challenge that I thought would come back to bite me but it got me thinking outside of the box.
    I am putting together some build process details and art/design strategies that I'm discovering along the way for anyone that may be interested.

Funny note, the small clouds are just simple little brush strokes with some gritty custom Photoshop brushes that I got from a friend working at 2K Marin. Never thought that they would come out as well as they did.

bridges01.jpg
    bridges02.jpg
  • Daves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daves polycounter lvl 9
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    Sorry but I'm having a very hard time reading these first scenes. There are some fine assets in there but the way they have been composed leaves them looking messy and hard to read. There is very little depth to the scenes and If I was a player presented with these environments I would have real problems figuring out what I was looking at and where I had to navigate to. There are no real paths through them. I like the less is more approach but think about composition and space, creating environments is all about what spaces are left behind as well as which objects are in the world. Squint your eyes, if you can still read the scene you are doing it right! Think about dropping your camera so that its actually where the player would be. It might give form to the world.
  • Stormfreek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Absolutely stunning work! The new scene looks amazing, I would love to see breakdowns of the Zbrush/Maya workflow! Very inspirational and for a character artist gets me thinking about getting back into environment sculpting!
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The last scene is looking great though. Where is the player going to be seeing it from in game? At the moment it looks like a sky dome asset?
  • Tw1tch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey mind sharing some tip's on how you made Great looking Bark on the tree? Great work btw, Looks Superb.
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daves wrote: »
    That last shot from page 1 is awesome! i dont see anything that repeats, almost photorealistic. Same quality as Uncharted 3 desert Scene in my opinion

Its from Rage!
  • LuCh!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    awesome thread, beautifful stuff!
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    I looove the stylized scene. I especially like how the colors of the different areas gradually blend into each other. It's very saturated and colorful but not too overwhelming. Do you mind sharing some info how how you achieved the shader? What is the shader effecting in the scene? I see that there's some toon shading going on, but is the intense saturation and the brightness all shader magic?

Thank you for sharing the tips, they are extremely helpful!
  • Ell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ell
    EasterIsland Nick!
    Thanks for the tips! I will always take a little help from anyone. I was making the scenes from some motivational concept art and there were no walking paths in the concepts so I just built away some cool little scenes as i saw them painted. I guess that's the nice thing about personal work, I'm not as constrained by player progression and fps vs. flying game types. I can just have fun with it.
    For the spaceship wreck I will go back this week and open it up more and add some walking paths as per your suggestion, while i'm in there I'll update my lighting scheme. Thanks for the suggestions! I appreciate it!

This current scene is suppose to be seen from this distance. I haven't done any distance LOD scenes in a while so this is it. here is another shot showing where some of the vantage points would be. Gorillaz style floating islands YEAH!

bridges03.jpg
  • Ell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ell
    Sybrix!
    I did have that stuff very saturated but my current company makes Dungeon Defenders sooooooo if you want saturation, we're your people!
    Since the scene was going to be post process heavy, I wanted easy and quick results with something I was already very familiar with so I did it via material scene effects.
    If you're not familiar with this, you can simply create a material, and have it act as your post processing.
    Here is a before shot, as well as with a simple version of edge detect and finally some crazy color leveling.
    If you need to know how to plug-in materials for post, let me know. Hope this helps!!!!

shader01.jpg
    shader02.jpg
    shader03.jpg
    shader05.jpg
  • Ell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ell
    Tw1tch!
    Thank you! I don't know if there is a real right way or great way to do trees but my strategy has done the job so far. I try to give bark, and tree knots, and crevices a bit of dimensionality as though it's just kind of growing out of control a little.
    In Zbrush I build all of that up with the ClayBuildup brush. just go kinda crazy with it. smooth it out with TrimAdaptive & Dynamic, and then start pushing crevices and pulling edges with Dam_Standard all over the place set up to be pretty sharp. You can then add some tree noise to it via alpha projector.
    Make sure to distinguish between outer bark and inner wood in the sculpt! And have it carry on through the color and spec.
    Not sure if that will help you at all, hopefully the screenshots will help you more than me bumbling around with words.

treebark01.jpg
    treebark02.jpg
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome, Ell. Thanks again for sharing, fascinating stuff.
  • Roxxor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roxxor polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great. Saved a bunch into my inspiration folder.
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm liking these latter shots very much, they look like environments that a player could navigate! Ace work!
  • IgorK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, your work is very inspirational!
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    this is very cool! i need to take a closer look at this waterfall ... can you specify how you did it`?
  • Ell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ell
    Hey there nbac!
    Here is a quick shot of the waterfall in action.
    https://vimeo.com/61401187

I am not experienced with making waterfalls but with this one I learned through experimentation that from the distance it's seen, simpler textures are better.The water was fun to try to keep simple considering the distance it's seen but also make look realistic using only hand painted textures.
    Glancing at the textures I made two falling water types. Misty falling water, and the main falling water.
    I just used some gritty/chalky custom brushes for some streaks and then erased some speckles for the misty, and some horizontal water break-ups for the main.
    Crazybumped both.

those two textures worked well in the scene but looking at photos of niagara falls I just couldn't get it to shadow as I wanted it to considering my sunlight angle, so I tossed a fake shadow into the diffuse which is the third texture. Without it the entire waterfall would have been almost white.

wftextures.jpg

Created this shader for it, and cranked up the specular amount.

wftextures02.jpg

the mesh; I duplicated the mesh and varied it a little because the water wasn't quite thick enough. Also stretched the mesh slightly in places so that the water would randomly fall faster in certain areas. I had no clue if that would look good, but it actually did in my opinion.

wftextures03.jpg
  • Ell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ell
    Thank you EasterIslandNick for the notes. I had some time this week to build out a better forest floor for player movement. Added an overgrown path around the ship and gave the ship a door for entry.
    It's difficult to get a shot showing a good path for player traversal while also showing a chunk of the environment because of the amount of vegetation and the size of the ship. But oh well.

Also changed the lighting and post scheme a little to suit a different time of day.

retouch01.jpg
    retouch02.jpg
    retouch03.jpg
    retouch04.jpg
    retouch05.jpg
    retouch06.jpg