Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment Art

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
DarthBotto polycounter lvl 10
Hey everyone,
So, I've been making small replies to others' work thus far, but I really haven't shown anything on my end, in the way of content. So, I'll share some of my environment art from my recreational and industrial work. This isn't themed for a specific game I've worked on, but more of a general, "Hello, I am Sam. I hate green eggs and ham. I'm-a-gonna-shoot you if you give me green eggs and ham," thing.

Post-Apocalyptic Washington, D.C.
post_apocalyptic_by_darthbotto-d5nfawj.png
(As a side note, no, this is not a political message. In fact, I used to work for the government and helped make graphics for a United States senator.)

Screenshots from a game inspired by the coolest mech shooter of all time, G-Nome.
474745_10151557411075154_1896227972_o.jpg

469953_10151557411190154_1169766394_o.jpg

468511_10151557411460154_681893747_o.jpg

456188_10151557411680154_572069605_o.jpg

Okay, I give- it is actually a remake of G-Nome!
All the textures, models and various assets were created from scratch by me. While there are plenty of new gameplay elements, the idea is to compliment the charming, simplistic nature of the original, by including similar, surreal shading, as well as redundant doodads. You see, the original was intended to be created on DOS, but was one of the earliest 3D integrations to another platform. As such, the doodad and environment assets are limited. The target audience of this game are generally people in their twenties, who experienced and fell in love with the original, regardless of the myriad of glitches and limited extent. As such, all the doodads are in the exact same location as they were in the original, with complimenting variations.

Lastly, I'd like to share a little concept video I made:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJd5JQoufHw"]0x10c concept video - YouTube[/ame]
I spent about fourteen hours in total on this, in order to pace myself and compliment the early art style that I saw that Eld has been going in. I also wanted to give Notch a boost of inspiration, as he seemed to be going through a dead spot in development at the time. Since I'm friends with a number of the employees there, it was intended to be somewhat as a thumbs-up to all of them. Plus, I suppose I wouldn't mind working for Mojang eventually. :poly124:

Currently, I'm experimenting with pixel art, although I'm not quite ready to show any of that.