Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Art Test Crits

Howdy everyone, so I sent in a completed art test for a mobile gaming company but sadly the project I was applying for was cancelled :(. I asked if anyone actually got to review my art test but was responded with a no. So i am putting it out here for you guys to give me some critiques. (I know there is some pixel bleeding with the palm tree and I couldn't figure that one out).

Replies

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Just curious but what were the specs you had to be within? I ask because as a whole your textures are very blurry.There is no detail to them and what little there is I can recognize from CGTextures. Using them isn't a bad thing but it feels like you just outright slapped some layers on and called it a day.

Your satellite dish has some faceted edges and they're usually pretty smooth within the dish itself. I am curious on the poly count you had to work with since right now everything seems pretty square as well.
  • Callesw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the white pixel bleeding on the palm leafs is probably because the texture is has a white color with the leaves on top. try having the green leaves on a green background and then save the texture. should do the trick!:)
  • SKonoza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    under 1000 triangles and use only two 512x512 texture maps and thank you for the quick responses
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I think you could have pushed the textures further had you used some tiling textures for the sand, roof, and concrete slab. I'm not sure how close you were with the tri count, but some tiling optimization could free up your texture space for sharper images.

Callesw is right on when it comes to the palm trees as well. It looks like you have a background color that doesn't match your leaves. Whenever you use an alpha, match the background around the UV shell with the color of the object. It cuts down on pixel bleed greatly.

Any chance on some wires so we can see your tri layout?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Since we don't know what kind of technical requirements you were allowed, many of us can't comment.

For example, was tiling allowed? Floating geo for the windows? How close would you get to the model? Only diffuse map or Spec allowed too? Etc.
  • SKonoza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okidokie, so the tris come in at 972.

Assignment: create a favela with a palm tree

The specifics for the assignment: 1000 triangles, use only two 512x512 texture maps, and create a light map around 2pm. The building and textures should be realistic.

I probably should state that this was actually my first real attempt at texturing. I've never really focused on it before.

Also, thank you again for all the replies
  • SKonoza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably should have given you the pics with the triangles :)