Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Simian - Character WIP

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
KyleHickey polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys,

I am going to be finishing this guy up in the coming weeks for classes. Let me know what you guys think, and C&C are always appreciated.

SimianALl_zps45bb2684.jpg

Replies

• TaylorAnimated
    Feels like the feet and hands are backwards, even though primates use both, I believe the rear are still primary. Take a look at gorilla appendages.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Muscle mass is too small, feet and hands tend to be the same in size (or feet tend to be more fat and webbed).
  • KyleHickey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Due to compatibility issues I as unable to use that sculpt, but I only lost an hour or so.

Here is the current highpoly. I had to work up some quick garments for him. I 'll have the low poly finished up later next week.

Let me know what you guys think.

Simian3_all_zps546b63d4.jpg
  • KyleHickey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had the character close to finished for awhile. Finally got around to taking some OK renders. I will have to fix one or two things with the sculpt and redo some of the maps but over all, I think this was a good pass on the skin texture at least.

I will most likely make another pass on the high poly to add some more interesting features and maybe accessories.

Let me know what you guys think. I should have a more interesting version in the next few weeks.

Simian_Renders1_zps35bcff14.jpg

Let me know that you think, and thanks for checking it out.
  • The_Blenderer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I second Ace-angel comment about muscle mass, why are his biceps so freakishly small?
    Thats something that works for mecha or stylized megaman design but here in a more realistic design it looks like he would have a serious problem lifting his giant hands or otherwise his biceps would have naturally evolved proportionally to the muscle of the forearm.
    Also the Serrus and lattesmus dorsi muscles seem very underdeveloped or non-existent and yet he is a pretty skinny guy which is why it seems unlikely they would be hidden under fat tissues.
  • KyleHickey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the Critique. I agree some of his proportions are off, and I will adjust those when I work on the high poly again.

I haven't really given any description of the character either. He was made with the idea of him being an alien. Which is why I gave him a lanky and stretched look. He would also not be considered a warrior, even though his race would have very tribal customs and appearance.