Home General Discussion

Can someone give a student(me) portfolio advice?

Hi,

My name is Adrianna. I'm from Montreal, Quebec and I'm a Graphic Design student. I graduate around the first week of November.

In order for me to graduate I have to be accepted into a three week internship at any local company or studio. I'm hoping to snap up an internship at any local video game company, there are a lot of them here in Montreal.

I was hoping to become a User Interface designer. I'm not quite sure what to put in my portfolio. I have a few class projects and some other work that I've done outside of school. I've also made a few box art pieces, promo art, etc... and I'm currently designing a website. What else should I include? Should I also include some 3d props in my portfolio?

I've bought a 12 by 18 portfolio and carrying case. Would I be better off buying a tablet and using the tablet as my portfolio?

Any and all advices are welcome. I'm freaking out in trying to figure out what what pieces to include. I'm probably just stressing out for nothing, considering I'm far away from graduation. I just want to make it in the industry.

Thank you

Replies

• KateC
    Offline / Send Message
    KateC polycounter lvl 7
    Hey/bonjour Adrianna!

The following's coming from an environment modeler, not a UI artist, but I think the basic information could be applied to both.

First off, if you're stressing out, go get a cup of coffee/tea/hot chocolate and take a walk. Always helps me refocus on the important things. November's a ways away, too, so you've heaps of time.

With regards to portfolios, the number of art directors I've met that would likely go through physical portfolios is probably pretty slim. They're just too busy, and focusing your attention on creating an easy to navigate, quickly viewable online portfolio would likely be your best bet. I Hate Your Portfolio has some good tips if you haven't yet run across it.

Chances are an art director or team lead will have already looked through your online portfolio if you're called in for an interview, and they'll be looking to see if you'd fit in with the art team. You could bring a tablet, but it's more likely that they'd just call it up on their computer and go over it with you.

Re: your portfolio, if you'd like to be a UI designer then really focus your attention on those pieces. Montreal has some big studios, so generalists - UI artists who also model who also do concept work - are maybe better suited to smaller cities.

Basically, a couple really nice pieces, laid out cleanly with your email easily found? Perfect!
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Can't see any link to a portfolio?!
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    the_Adri wrote: »

In order for me to graduate I have to be accepted into a three week internship at any local company or studio.

Um, what? This seems... not cool... so if you did really well all the way through your degree but fail to land an internship, they don't give you your degree?

That sounds dodgy to me.

I wouldn't worry about 3d props, and your carry-around portfolio will be fine, no reason whatsoever to go out and buy a tablet unless you want one anyways. :thumbup:
  • HardBaller
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    I can say take a look at this crunchcast. It's still my fav. because they talk a lot about portfolio's what to do and what not to do etc. Great show anyhow but this episode i'd recommend to watch (also a lot more fun then dry reading ;) )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HKlrQ5v0_o
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch polycounter
    Andreas wrote: »
    Um, what? This seems... not cool... so if you did really well all the way through your degree but fail to land an internship, they don't give you your degree?

That sounds dodgy to me.

I completely agree, just because you don't manage to land an internship? Seems really strange, I'd recheck that info :\
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Torch wrote: »
    I completely agree, just because you don't manage to land an internship? Seems really strange, I'd recheck that info :\

It's fairly common iirc, at least in Germany an Internship is usually part of the Bachelor's level degree. I had a hard time applying for Masters programs because coming from the US after my Bachelor I didn't have any internships and most schools require up to a year of practical experience to apply for Masters level degrees.
  • imyj
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 13
    I've sent you a PM :)
  • the_Adri
    Can't see any link to a portfolio?!

I don't have an online portfolio, yet. That's why I said all my work has been printed so far.
    Andreas wrote: »

That sounds dodgy to me.

The programs has been around for over 15 years. So far everyone has gotten an internship, not necessarily whom they wanted to intern for.

Is it really important for me to make online portfolio right away or can I wait until I gain more experience?
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    Is it really important for me to make online portfolio right away or can I wait until I gain more experience?

I'd definitely recommend creating an online portfolio, doesn't have to be anything other than a gallery and a contact page, you could always use something simple like carbonmade to make something.

Makes it a lot easier to contact companies if you can just drop a bunch of emails asking if there are any available spots open for an intern, or if they would be willing to take one on for a certain period of time, and include a link to your portfolio. That's how I landed an internship, from which I got my current job, so I would strongly suggest you just get some of your work online.

But I wouldn't recommend going off, buying a domain and such as chances are, once you've worked for a little while you'll want to just create a new portfolio.
  • HardBaller
    Offline / Send Message
    Mazz is a domain really that bad? I mean it's only a few bucks a year (35euro's a year for a 4gb here for example) and it gives you a lot more options.
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    HardBaller wrote: »
    Mazz is a domain really that bad? I mean it's only a few bucks a year (35euro's a year for a 4gb here for example) and it gives you a lot more options.

Domains are so cheap i'd say why the hell not. My domain was free for first 2 years (about 6 months left), and hosting cost £10 a year.

@mazz I don't see why anyone would just 'change portfolio' after working for a bit, just update it?
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    oh of course, sorry I didn't mean never register a domain, I meant that registering one isn't a necessity out the gate if you're still a student and applying for internships. And as far as updating a portfolio goes, personally I'd rather spend some time early on finding or creating a robust system that makes it super easy to update later on; which could take some time if you're wanting to research a variety of options, was more thinking of time constraints on securing the internship when I made that point. Apologies if my last post wasn't clear.
  • HardBaller
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yeah in that case i'd go with one of those template ready website at the start. though a good template still costs some money and then a domain would be cheaper. only downside is that you either need to learn html, get a friend that writes or use a tool like dreamweaver.

Anyways. Skillmister. 10 pounds a year? darn where do you host then? it's about a 3th of my price.
  • the_Adri
    I'm starting my web design course tomorrow. I'm guessing creating websites is great way to start as a user interface artist?
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    mazz423 wrote: »
    oh of course, sorry I didn't mean never register a domain, I meant that registering one isn't a necessity out the gate if you're still a student and applying for internships. And as far as updating a portfolio goes, personally I'd rather spend some time early on finding or creating a robust system that makes it super easy to update later on; which could take some time if you're wanting to research a variety of options, was more thinking of time constraints on securing the internship when I made that point. Apologies if my last post wasn't clear.

Hmm i get that but it's not like creating your own means it has to be complicated to update. Mine takes a matter of seconds to update as all the images are on dropbox and the pages are super simple.

HardBaller wrote: »
    Ah yeah in that case i'd go with one of those template ready website at the start. though a good template still costs some money and then a domain would be cheaper. only downside is that you either need to learn html, get a friend that writes or use a tool like dreamweaver.

Anyways. Skillmister. 10 pounds a year? darn where do you host then? it's about a 3th of my price.

1) http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91572 :)

2) https://www.vidahost.com/web-hosting/overview It's gone up a bit now, i might have signed up with an offer i can't remember.
  • Equanim
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Adrianna,

I've been working as an interactive designer for a while now. You will want...

a) Any good quality interactive work you've done, e.g. any websites, anything with flash, etc. This will show your understanding for how users interact with applications and is the most relevant to the job you're looking for.

b) Some good graphic design work to demonstrate that you have solid graphic design sense. It sounds like you're stressing the art end of UI design, so this is especially important in your case. Don't put so much in that you end up looking like a graphic designer who took a flash course once. The more relevant the work is to games, the better.

c) Your best 3D work. This is probably the least important of the three. 3D is usually listed as a "plus" on job skill requirements for UI designers, but I've found it extremely useful. It also helps signify that you want a job in games more than web or print.

For presentation:

A website is definitely a must and it needs to be completely your own creation. For a UI artist, your portfolio site IS one of your most prominent pieces. Buy a domain and hosting, every UI designer does. In terms of redoing your portfolio, many of us do that every two years out of habit more than necessity. (I'm supposed to be tweaking mine right now actually :P) When you change it, you'll probably want to keep your domain as that's one way you'll become known in the industry, just change the design when the urge hits you.

For the actual interview, bringing in a print version of your portfolio is fine, especially for an undergrad. If you're designing for screen, having your portfolio on screen is always awesome and should be something you do in the long run, but for right now it's definitely not mandatory.

You'll also want to leave contact information. A CD of your work and a business card with your info is great. Make sure your contact information is written on the CD itself too. If you REALLY want to look professional, you could also do a resume and cover letter. If you're still an undergrad and you're not graduating within the next year, I'd consider that optional however.

Above all, quality is better than quantity!

Good luck! Post a link to your site when it's done!
  • HardBaller
    Offline / Send Message
    2) https://www.vidahost.com/web-hosting/overview It's gone up a bit now, i might have signed up with an offer i can't remember.

Ah yeah it's about 15 euro's cheaper (converted of course). But on the other hand i get 8x the storage size and 8x the traffic size. I'll see what i will do when i need one. Thanks anyways i'll save it for the future :).