Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Crymono Tanks [Multiplayer CE3 Top-Down Shooter]

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
Mm4H38z.jpg

Hello Polycount!
This is some of the work I have been working on for Ink Studio's CryMono Demonstration game (which is intended to show off the power and flexibility of CryMono).
The game itself is top down multiplayer tank shooter.

Thought it was probably time to stop spamming up P&P and give it it's own thread!

Environments:
"Jungle Temple" Level:
720cmtanks1.jpg
720cmtanks2.jpg
720cmtanks3.jpg
720cmtanks5.jpg

"Desert Canyon" Level (WIP!):
VwJt7LL.jpg
o4XLPzI.jpg

Tanks themselves:
A fair bit of work was put into assuring that each turret type had a different silhouette, so that you can quickly identify the enemy tanks on the battlefield. For a lot of them I found it really hard adding as much wear as I did, but it was necessary to make it actually visible from the ingame viewpoint.

Low Polys:
Rx34gXR.jpg
pSGBWFd.jpg

High polys (Apologies for some grainyness - rendered in max viewport):
http://imgur.com/a/jMSUm#leH75x3

Other Miscellaneous things:
Menu Screen - This thing is part of the ingame menu system for selecting your Tank, and any other menu items (youtube animation mockup below!):
4Jg8u75.jpg
[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=8twpo0MLcBQ[/ame]

Drop Pod (high poly) - These suckers are obtained with a certain power up and drop out of the sky, embedding themselves into the ground, and unfolding to unleash a spray of lead filled death on your enemies!:
vs88P.jpg

I think that's about it for now, but will keep this thread updated :)

Replies

• sunnlok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I must say i realy like the style of this! It looks realy good when you play it in the top-down perspective.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, as Sunnlok said, awesome character/style you guys have established. I know that the tanks are done and set, but I think a little more more on individual silhouette work on the lower chassis would have made the differences a lot more visible, and possibly some more color variation in each model? Yes, they are discernible between the different tank types for sure, but I feel there could be a little more visual break up between the tanks :)

Also, on the bridge screenshot you guys posted above (Second screenshot down), I think the bridge, stone/brick texture could use some polish love, there is the pretty solid black creases between the stones, and it really stood out to me, thought I would point that one out. Some grunge or dirt or something would really complete it!

Awesome work so far guys! I love the style though, the tanks as a whole are beyond awesome! You guys planning on doing a tank customization system?? That would be pretty sick. Not really sure how the gameplay works, etc yet, but these are my observations from what I was given! :D
  • Aran Anderson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aran Anderson polycounter lvl 12
    Looks cool, will have to try the game out. Nice highpolys, what are the polycount/wires for the lowpolys of the tanks?
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the comments guys!
    I have a few updated/finished renders of the Desert Canyon Level:
    canyon1_1080.jpg
    canyon2_1080.jpg
    canyon3_1080.jpg
    canyon4_1080.jpg
    Add3r wrote: »
    Yeah, as Sunnlok said, awesome character/style you guys have established. I know that the tanks are done and set, but I think a little more more on individual silhouette work on the lower chassis would have made the differences a lot more visible, and possibly some more color variation in each model? Yes, they are discernible between the different tank types for sure, but I feel there could be a little more visual break up between the tanks :)

Also, on the bridge screenshot you guys posted above (Second screenshot down), I think the bridge, stone/brick texture could use some polish love, there is the pretty solid black creases between the stones, and it really stood out to me, thought I would point that one out. Some grunge or dirt or something would really complete it!

Awesome work so far guys! I love the style though, the tanks as a whole are beyond awesome! You guys planning on doing a tank customization system?? That would be pretty sick. Not really sure how the gameplay works, etc yet, but these are my observations from what I was given! :D

Thanks! At the moment we're just keeping the one base part and then the turrets are interchanged in code, I don't think it would be particularly difficult to make varients, but it's not really the highest priority at the moment :) (We'll definitely be looking into some sort of customization system in future, not sure of the extent of it yet, but could add different bases as part of that).
    Will fix the bridge, should be pretty easy, just have to tone down my AO layer a bit!
    Looks cool, will have to try the game out. Nice highpolys, what are the polycount/wires for the lowpolys of the tanks?
    Thanks! I'll try and get some wires up in the near future (at the moment all the turrets are in different files, so it's a bit of a pain to get them all together for a screenshot), but the polycounts are fairly low, the chassis+wheels+tracks is 4200tris, and on average each of the turrets is around 600tris, though some of the ones with more cylindrical shapes are higher (closer to 900-1000 tris).
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip has been doing some great work with the spectator camera![ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q97Y6q384ek"]Tanks | Spectator Camera Test - YouTube[/ame]

And here's some early multiplayer footage (it's actually changed quite a bit since this video but hey, working multiplayer!)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwiVaOkPZQ8"]CryMono Tanks Playtest #1 - YouTube[/ame]
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you considered adding customization options? Team colors would be the simplest - let the players choose from a selection of colors rather than just red/blue. Next would be selecting a team icon for the flag, or letting the players choose shapes/patterns for flags carried by the tanks. Finally, let the player replace the numbers on the tanks with their own choices, or with icons.

You should add particle effects to show dust raised by the tank treads; extra credit for having the dust cloud change on different terrain.

Tanks moving on soft surfaces should leave behind tracks; the easiest way to do this is with a circular list of ground decals for each tank, effectively replacing the oldest decal with the newest each frame. This method also helps you to fade out the oldest tracks, so they don't just suddenly disappear.

Your current environment seems a bit forced - the walls are too vertical and the whole seems more like a playground than a battlefield. (Not that the idea of teeny-tiny tanks fighting in a playground is a bad idea...) Rather than making water merely an obstacle, have water the tanks can ford, but at a considerable cost in speed & maneuverability.

Tanks also cry out for destructible environments. Make some obstacles tanks can drive through (possibly slowing them down or damaging them), others that can be destroyed with enough damage, and still others that can only be damaged by heavy weapons. You could even make some obstacles that can only be destroyed by special tanks - think of the hedgerows in Normandy.

Mines are another source of fun for tanks. They might not be able to destroy the tank, but they could slow it down, or even immobilize it.