Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

recreating character art test

I took character art test for Arenanet 2013 internship. I failed the test so I decided to recreate it. I'm trying to figure out what were my mistakes and how to improve it.

I would appreciate some feedback.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Please don't recreate this piece unless you REALLY REALLY want to and you feel you can make it a lot better.

Because it's an art test people are going to automatically know or assume you didn't get the arenanet job with this piece because it is not on your resume. And there's going to be a dozen other artists with this same piece in their portfolios. And unless your's looks better than everyone else's attempt out there, it's going to look boring, bad, bland, and over done.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Im going to agree with ZacD on this on. If you do get some good honest crits on this, make a note of them, evaluate the piece yourself, be totally honest.

But move onto another piece. It's not a waste, don't think of it that way. I'm sure you learned a lot from this character. Take what you learned and apply it in a new character. Unless you REALLY want to, or think you can push it to that totally next level, it's better to move on.

For critiques, im not super strong on anatomy, so i can't provide much that someone more comfortable with characters could say, but to me his pose is very stiff, that doesn't really matter I know, but it can help presentation a lot, even a pose might be a good idea.

Also I think for your next character, try to mirror your UV's when possible. If the character is symmetrical there's no reason you can't optimize the texture space for things like his arms and legs, and armour.
  • Min-Jun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your concern but I really want to do this. Actually I like this character concept. Hey, TrevorJ. I will keep in mind your feedback. I hope this turn out well. the next step is to create high poly. I'm not going to follow arenanet art test guidelines this time because I'm creating this for fun. My final low model is going to be 10000 Triangles and 2048 texture maps.
  • Min-Jun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    high poly modeling and rendering test before sculpting in ZBrush
  • Min-Jun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided not to create texture and retopology for this character. I'm going to move onto next character. I think I'll create a finished character on my next personal project.

Thank you for all your feedback.