Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Mike Deakin

Hello all, welcome to my sketchbook!

Another newbie here, and one that's thoroughly unimpressed with his own ability. That's where this comes in...

Whilst I'm really more of a programmer, I do enjoy more artistic ventures up to the point where everything goes wrong and I truly detest what I've done. Well, the only way to get better is to practice. I'll put my work here as I go, so that I or anyone else can see my improvement.

I hope you like what you see, and if not, feel free to critique and advise!

This thread will likely contain very WIP-type posts, so I'll keep my DA link here, so that you can browse that for more finalised pieces. These will mostly be digital drawings rather than models.
Mick-a-nator on deviantART

Replies

• The Mick-a-nator
    I've not really done much modelling recently, at least none that I have any interest in any more. Modelling was my first interest in game development though, and I even work with some folks at TF2Maps.net to make a model pack, earning a Map Maker's Medallion in the process.
    It was the Construction set, which you can find here.

I made the trailer trio, the tape measure (neither of which I textured, sadly) and the spirit level (which I did texture, sadly). I like the trailer, but the spirit level can go die in a hole; it's so bad it hurts.

Trailer (modular):
    Texture by Void of TF2Maps.net
    tf2constructiontrailerbox_zps051e8f29.png
    tf2constructiontrailergenertator_zps6543d519.png

Tape measure (Texture by Boylee of TF2Maps.net) and Spirit level (Texture by me):
    tf2constructionsmallprops_zps433bc5c2.png

More recently, I made these for a project I'm working on with some friends.
    cthulhu_with_a_top_hat_by_mick_a_nator-d5lj693.png
    dog__thulhu_by_mick_a_nator-d5lmgse.png
    cat__thulhu_by_mick_a_nator-d5mt13q.png

I must say, I'm pretty proud of those 3, though they took me a butt-load of time.

More soon ;)
  • The Mick-a-nator
    I've just been doodling with Mudbox; getting used to how it works. Nothing to write home about, but I picked up a few things along the way. The only goal was to get some high-details on a low-detail form.

The eyes sort of happened by accident. They were in keeping with what I had in mind though, so I just kept 'em. In future, I'd probably use separate meshes.
    The 'plating' on the back didn't turn out how I wanted. Not sure how to fix this in future, but I suspect a re-topo would greatly help.

MudboxDoodle_front_zps4866b3e7.png
    MudboxDoodle_back_zpsc113cc55.png
  • The Mick-a-nator
    Trying to learn some digital painting. Starting off with a sort of silhouette, to get used to PS brushes and my tablet more. Just with what I've done so far, I've learned more from this that it might appear.

RavenSilhouette01_zps124b7462.png