Home Technical Talk

A quick question about Dota 2 content.

This probably seems really obvious, but I can't for life of me seem to find an answer anywhere.

So basically where my major hangup in the whole process for workshop content creation is I can't tell what my limitations are. There is a requirments page that lists them, but I'm just missing something.

specifically the LoD. For every item there is listed two values for the level of detail, an LoD0, and an LoD1 with different numbers attached to each. The thing that im not getting is exactly what that means.

Are they the upper and lower boundaries for polycount? Is one for the low poly mesh, and the other for the high poly for when it comes to normal mapping? is it measured in triangles?, vertices? Even trying to look at the official models you can download off of that very page doesn't help because any number i look at for them always exceeds whatever is on the page.

It's such a little thing, and I'm probably over thinking it so I'm hoping somebody here could explain it.

Replies

• Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    LoD means Level of Detail and in this case refers to different versions of a model that will be used in different areas of the game.

LoD0 is a higher triangle count model used for portraits
    LoD1 is a lower tri version used in-game

The budget is measured in triangles and what is listed there is the budget for each, not a range.

You can make both, but LoD0 is optional.

Generally people start by making an LoD0 version and then optimizing it to get their LoD1.
  • throttlekitty
    Those are the triangle counts allowed for the lod0 and lod1 models. LoD0 is used for character portrait view and promotional images, lod1 is the resolution used in the game view. Both lod models use the same texture.

From Anti Mage's Head requirements we have:
    LoD0 Triangle Limit: 350
    LoD1 Triangle Limit: 250
    Which means that in your submission, lod0 can't exceet 350 triangles, and lod1 can't exceed 250 triangles.

Looking at the official models, you'll see groupings for both resolutions to get a feel for triangle use for both resolutions. Valve is exempt from workshop rules :)