Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Crits needed

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
thegreyman1 polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys,

Need some crits on this musket. Its not finished but I'm not happy with how its turning out and I just need some guidance and direction with the texturing (still some small mesh and normals issues I want to fix).

In particular I am not very happy with my metal texture, especially around the faceplate on the receiver.

I also still need to play with the spec and if anybody has any cool grunge or scratch brushes etc that would help please feel free to share as I love me some new brushes :)

1-10_zpse5b0d882.jpg

2-9_zps3b360574.jpg

4-8_zps55bb39f5.jpg

3-9_zpsb2e55f93.jpg

Replies

• thegreyman1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update, adjusted the wood slightly. Better or worse?

5-8_zps4ea17211.jpg
  • Aardschok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to improve your metal texture, make sure you have some color in it.
    Color? Yes, color. In reality metal has a light color within the material

Make in Photoshop a 1024 x 1024 texture with random strokes of pure colors. Fill the entire 1024 x 1024.
    Paste the layer to your musket texture, make sure it is on overlay and the opacity of the layer on 2 ~ 5%. This will break the pure gray color of the metal.

Try it out and good luck
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I think you have your Spec the wrong tints.

Metal tends to have (pending on the coat or lack of coat of paint) either inverted hue of the diffuse in the Spec or 1:1 color value in the Spec, while wood will be white or inverted pending on what you want it to read (currently it's reading out as copper due to the spec).

Also, alot of the 'wear' isn't reading well in your Spec, while I can see the information in the diffuse, it's not occurring in the Spec, so it looks very flat.

The major problem is simple, your model is currently a 'mushy middle', the diffuse says "hey, I have seen war", but the normal map and spec say "I'm still pretty new", you should either look into defining it's wear more or try and instead to make it look like a new replica.

Cheers.
  • thegreyman1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, thanks guys. I haven't started the spec yet so I'll take all of that into account. Especially looking forward to the "random colour sheet" overlay. All crits welcome!
  • thegreyman1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres an update, for those that are interested :)

It still not quite finished but I've gotten most of it down. The spec on the wood is behaving really strangely in Marmoset so I must look into that but for now I'm going to pass it on to the client for further direction.

Crits still welcome!

1-10_zps70fa855f.jpg

3-9_zps336c8431.jpg

2-9_zps23be828f.jpg

5-8_zps7bebb556.jpg

4-8_zps3ca2523e.jpg

52_zps7ee3e02f.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    There must be something up with the spec map, it looks like it has a lot of issues when viewed from behind. Overall it's a good piece but you're reaching the border where you have a little too much high detail noise and not enough big shapes to make it interesting and pop.

You could try toning down the wood spec and dirt, and look at some of millenias models, they have a good balance between big shapes and small details. Racer has some tutorials too.
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    wood looks very contrasty...I liked first pictures with wood actually waaaaayyy more
  • thegreyman1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with both of those statements... I'm going to lighten the wood a little and add a little more saturation to give it a bit more reddish brown, its not rich enough. Then I will lower the spec and dirt a bit to equalize it. I'll post some images ASAP.

Thanks again :)
  • thegreyman1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, I think its just about done now. Crits still welcome though! I can't believe the quality of the image though they're so tiny, goddamn photobucket. Anybody know a better site to upload to for free?

1a_zps2e51aa52.jpg

2-9_zps2f06f5fb.jpg