Home Technical Talk

Zbrush - creating normals is giving weird results

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Dibbz polycounter lvl 4
I have no idea why Zbrush is doing this. I created a sculpt exported the low res out to 3DS Max, unwrapped it, reimported it. The UVW's show to be fine but when I render out Normal or Dissplacement maps faces look to be flipped or turned oddly. The only thing I have checked is flip yz axis and texture coords when going from 3DS Max to Zbrush.

I've exported out the low and high poly versions from Zbrush into 3DS Max and done a render to texture from there and the normals come out fine, so I'm positive it some setting or something I'm missing in Zbrush.

This is what Zbrush gives me

rock_spike_nrm_zbr3xp9u.jpg

Render to Texture in 3DS Max gives me this

rock_spike_nrmyyqwh.jpg

Any help?

Replies

• Dibbz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dibbz polycounter lvl 4
    It might be worth mentioning that I have retopolgised my sculpt and from that I have projected the high res mesh onto the newly created low poly mesh. From there I exported both high and low as adaptives skins and saved them both as OBJ's.

Then I imported the low poly mesh in and subdivided until it reached the polycount of the high poly and then imported the high poly at that subdivision. Everything seems fine until I go to render out a normal or dissplacement map.

This process is most likely what is causing my problem but are there any alternatives?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Is that texture cropped, or do you have UVs touching the borders? Zbrush doesn't like that. Also, how did you import the new mesh? GoZ? If not, try that, or vice versa.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    double check your uvs are valid after you import the low to zbrush as well, looks like they could be victim or rotated indices. :-O
  • Dibbz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dibbz polycounter lvl 4
    I've manged to fix it. Seems like this is a problem some call broken UV's.

To fix it I went to my lowest sub division, eported as OBJ, opened in 3DS Max and went to unwrap it. Simply select all verticies and put your weld value at something low like 0.01 and hit weld all. Then export back out and import into the lowest sub division in Zbrush. Credit to this fine chap on youtube [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQHOIh5VuzE"]Broken UVs in Zbrush 4.0: How to fix them! - YouTube[/ame]