Home Technical Talk

How do I make my art stylized?

That may seem like a stupid question, but I'm just wondering if there are techniques out there to do it right. Anyone can through something together and call it stylized but if done right it really pops. That's what I'm looking for are some techniques I can use to make my art stylized but not cartoon like.

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Find a style you like, and work towards creating art like it, analyze what elements give that style its look. Try thinking in terms of restriction an exaggeration. There is no catch all answer here, there's so many forms of 'stylization' that all use their own little tricks and techniques.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    like throttlekitty said study existing stylized work. By doing enough of those and combining it with proper knownledge about the reallife buildup of whatever you want to make you`ll start to become better at it and have a more distinct style
  • Pixeldemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm no expert but I would say two key points are:

1) Move away from "realism". Simplified features, exaggerated planes, and wacky proportions are common ways to achieve this.

2) Be consistent. For example, if you make a character with a simplified "cartoony" face, don't give them anatomically correct muscles in their arms, or over-detail their clothing.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Caricature is the keyword. But not necessarily caricature meaning a fun thing, but in the sense of exageration. Exagerate the aspects you want that pop more. Gears of War has a very good caricatural, but realistic approach. Street Fighter too. Almost all comics artists exagerate, in anatomy, composition, poses. Exageration is used to make expressivity stronger. The type of exageration you do, based on your personal preferences, is what one can call style.
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    Okay. I'm not quite sure that I'm gonna be able to communicate this properly so bear with me.

When I think of an artist's style, I typically think of it as the artist's visual shorthand notes on what things look like to him/her.

What I meant by that:

By now, I'm going to assume that we've all had life drawing classes or at the very least drew something from a photograph at least once. In translating what we saw onto the paper, something is almost inevitably lost. There are many reasons for this; be it limitations in patience, ability, or whatever. It's like taking long-form notes on a lecture. You may get close to writing down everything that was said, but in the end, you're always gonna miss something.

Successful styles are often informed by anatomical/mechanical knowledge (or at least, I'd like to believe as much). If you look at those long-form notes and start making observations, you'll notice that there are some things that can be truncated. You'll most likely find that you can define some things while leaving others undefined. You'll also find that there are things you like to see or draw more than some others. Additionally, you'll discover that there are some things that can be embellished and/or elaborated upon.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    As DashXero said, but in tl;dr mode:

You have to know the rules before you know how to break them.