Home Unreal Engine

Material White Dot Artifacts

Replies

• lpcstr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BC5 can't be the problem, because I've seen this when using uncompressed normal maps. However, I have only ever seen this happen in the DX11 renderer. Because of this and other bugs that only appear in DX11, I have taken to only using the DX9 renderer.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, i have had this several times now. Its really weird but one thing that god it working is that i clamp the normals. Between 0-1, i dont know if this is correct but atleast i get rid of the dots.
  • Santewi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visceral wrote: »
    Yeah, i have had this several times now. Its really weird but one thing that god it working is that i clamp the normals. Between 0-1, i dont know if this is correct but atleast i get rid of the dots.

If clamping between 0 and 1 doesn't work, 0.000001 and 0.999999 should.

And I think masking out the blue channel of the normalmaps and then appending 0.5 fixes this as well.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Normalize your Normal Maps before/after the Addition part maybe?

Make sure you imported them correctly?

I'm not sure why you're using Abs and Constant Clamp at the same time...
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
    I've gotten this a lot with my material using my textures set to 'UI' in the LOD group, as well as 'Uncompressed Normals' for my normal maps. Rebuilding the lighting fixed it though. The white dots only show up in my material editor and the scene when lighting isn't built.

This might be a dumb question, but is the lighting built? You can toggle "show stats" in the viewport and see, without having to play the level. I figured I'd throw it out there, since I've only gotten this bug without built lighting(also in DX11).
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    I also reproduced this error while doing a DX11 test in a fully dynamic scene. I'm not sure baking lights is the problem ... then again I never solved the issue. Clamping the normals sounds like a good idea!
  • SeanO'Connor
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Yeah, BC5 and uncompressed normalmaps give these artifacts for me aswell in DX11 mode. You dont want to clamp between 0 and 1 since UDK converts the normalmaps to values -1 to 1, right?
  • SeanO'Connor
  • Santewi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's because the uncompressed and BC5 formats' Z value has to be calculated in the pixel shader.

I've had this problem before (because I don't like compression artifacts :P), good thing I remembered how I fixed it.
  • lpcstr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Santewi wrote: »
    I think it's because the uncompressed and BC5 formats' Z value has to be calculated in the pixel shader.

I've had this problem before (because I don't like compression artifacts :P), good thing I remembered how I fixed it.

That's not the case either. When I said "uncompressed", I meant it more broadly. I was actually using the TC_VectorDisplacment setting. Besides, whether you sample Z or recalculate it, it's still going to be the same. If you are normalizing afterwards like you should, there should be no problems. But there is, which is why this is a bug and not something that you are doing wrong in your shader.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    Ah sweet -- great thread! This has been such a thorn in my side. Thanks all!
  • SeanO'Connor