Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Haskell_Demon

This is a project I am working on for a class at school where I am designing a demon character based off of Samael from darkstalkers. The screen shots include my lowpoly I'm working on and some off my concept work I worked on before hand. I haven't optimized the lowpoly yet, and I still have more modeling to do in terms of detail, but after completeing these I plan on taking it into Zbrush for a highpoly sculpt and unwrap. Any feed back or critiques would be appreciated.

http://imgur.com/a/dOYsK

Replies

• theStoff
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    This is a good start. One thing that I do notice right away though is the spacing of your polygons. There are area such as the front and side of the legs where the polygons are really long and close together. This will create a pinch when brought into zbrush. That is the first thing I'd fix before adding more detail. keep it up.
  • KingofGrapplers
    Thank you I forgot to consider that
  • RailbladerX
    Offline / Send Message
    RailbladerX polycounter lvl 8
    OK indeed good start!

I have some pointers if you are a little confused on the poly placement.

First. Remember when modeling the lower body, you want the poly's to flow like he is wearing a man thong. You dont want them to stretch out like that. it will also make modeling the legs much easier.

when modeling the Torso, model it as if you were making him wear a wife beater. or tank top. then sow on the arms separately, and the Head/Neck/Center Coller Bone area.

Remember rules are ment to be broken, and bent. But until you can bend the matrix like Neo (and professional Character Modelers), Keep everything as square as you can.
  • KingofGrapplers
    Thank you, I'll keep that in mind for my next attempt, I wish I had a better idea of that when I started
  • Luke_Starkie
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said,
    but out of curiosity If you are taking this into Zbrush why don't you go a little more simple with your base mesh? I mean you are probably going to do a retopo of the sculpt later on anyway so, personally If you are confident with zbrush then just blast out a simple base mesh and let zbrush do the wonders for you... Well that's my two cents anyway!

The beginning of Dmitry Parkin's time lapse will probably explain a lot more than I can:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZbsxXAU5x4&feature=player_embedded"]necrophage_by_D.Parkin_parkparkin.com.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

But anyway keep it up pal!
  • KingofGrapplers
    Thanks homes I am defiantly planning on doing a retopo in Zbrush, and I've already begun sculpting. I'm planning on using dyna-mesh or looking up new ways to distribute my polys. I'm posting my WIP so far and thanks for the video link I wish I started as simple as this guy did he's a champ.
  • PixelSuit
    Hey, that's a good start, I especially like some of your thumbnail designs. You should be able to get multiple characters developed from those!

One thing that stands out to me are the thickness of the wings and the ring hoops going through them. I'm guessing you have given the main body of the wings a thickness so you can sculpt them in ZBrush? The size of those rings really takes away from the wings of the creature, rings that size would either tear the thinner wing section or just make it impossible to fly. Smaller rings which are closer to the edge would probably work better and still keep a similar silhouette