Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] - Terminus Hotel

Hey guys I wanted to post get some crit and some advice, on where to go from my current progress. I have been working on a scene from a Hitman Absolution concept. My goal was to get as close to the concept as possible. This is where I am at the moment;

CURRENT PROGRESS

UDK_Terminus_Hotel_30_1_13.png

WHERE I WAS WHEN THE THREAD WAS STARTED

UDK_Terminus_Hotel.png
This is the concept it came from the Hitman Absolution fan site kit but has been removed from the kit. The scene was the Terminus hotel top floor lobby. in the game itself this scene has since been changed completely;

REFERENCE IMAGE

Terminus_Hotel_Lobby_Concept.jpg

This is a work in progress of a world switch out shader. I am also working on;

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNoq8oUm09s"]WIP - World Switch Out - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• acreativebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acreativebox polycounter lvl 7
    34JR0P.gif
    Sub'd!

The shader looks sick!

On the piece itself I would suggest you break up the walls a bit with decals and/or vertex painting. Also I feel the lights are a bit too green when compared to your reference.

And one last thing, the perspective is off/odd but I assume that's because the fov in UDK is higher than in the reference shot :)

Looks great though!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks pretty good.

A few things:
    - Your scene seems to be lit more from the outside than from the inside.
    - I think you have a lot of red and brown in your wood on the ceiling that is fighting the art direction of the ref shot.
    - There are a lot of wall details in the ref shot that adds to the composition but are missing from your shot, hopefully its just a work in progress thing and those details are coming.

Keep up the good work!
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    nice, that shader looks like it'd be really interesting on much more complex scenes. I agree with what Mark said also. :D
  • imperator_dk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    Looks cool, I would add some wobble to the reflection on the floor as the rain is coming down it would be unlikely that the water should remain undisturbed. A tad more grime in the specular maps overall would probably fit the deprecated feel of the original concept.

Maybe we should get our shit together and do some art dumps from the game soon :)
  • Prtofdacrowd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prtofdacrowd polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome work, I agree with Mark on the wall divets adding to the composition of the scene.

Other than that keep up the good work :)
  • cheese cake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad you posted! :) It's good to see you active

I agree with most of the comments on here the green in particular is a little too bright in comparison to your reference, but guessing your super snazzy post pro shader can fix that up? :) hehe

and also i've seen what that world switch out shader can do so i'm going to re-iterate my suggestion and say to put in a different environment to begin with (nothing too fancy even just a journey esque, you touch a rock in the middle of a desert and the world switches out around you) just so these polycount people can see how awesome it looks when it dissolves a world and then re builds it :D

But great work, and i'm looking forward to seeing more development on it :)
  • Endfinity Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endfinity Jon polycounter lvl 8
    This is a cool piece, I really dig the way your floor turned out.

I agree with what's been stated above, some more details will really bring the room to life. Concerning your lighting, a few things:

I think overall you'll need a little more of the soft diffuse light bouncing around your scene. Taking a look at the reference image, your areas in shadow are a little darker than the target. Where it's most apparent is the roof. That may be because you're using a richer brown for your wood where the image has more of a faded barn wood gray look. Either way, getting more bounce to touch the ceiling elements would bring it away from the black and closer to what your seeing in the ref. Doing so should also soften your shadows, as they're too dark compared to what's in target image. It's a balancing act between adding more bounce and possibly bringing your environment/ambient color brighter.

Once you've made some blanket scene changes, you might still have to fudge some additional light into the scene. GI can't do it all for you, elements like your pillars and indented ceiling may need to have a light cheated near them to brighten them up. Also, there's no green light in the reference image. Yes, there's hints of green in the glass but there's also some amber and it's all very subtle. The light coming off the practical sources is a warm white, so I'd get rid of the green emissive all together.

I look forward to seeing this guy completed!
    -Jon
  • sloth452
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the crit guys. I am working my way through it fixing it up as best I can. I have made some changes and am trying to make the lighting fix the concept before adding in more details. I have made the wall paper much clearer and cleaner to try and make the details pop more, but I still need to add in more like the rip in the wallpaper.
    As for the lighting I have been having some serious trouble trying to get it right with crashes mid light bake. I also have colour deficiency and I am finding it hard to get the correct colour balance. I have had my house mate jFeez coming in every time I have done a light bake to check it. I would love some more crit on the lighting if possible.

This is where I am at the moment;

UDK_Terminus_Hotel_Lighting.png

Next thing on the list decals, FOV change and the rip in the wallpaper.

@Endfinity Jon - thanks for the lighting crit it really helped. :) Getting the right feel. I also did have to fudge some of the lighting on the pillars. I have set up vertex painting to make the spec and diffuse darker and lighter in some bits. (trying to match the concept more)

@imperator_DK – I would love to see an art dump from the game and I am sure that most of polycount community would love to see one as well.

@acreativebox and @Gannon – glad you like the shader it is done of world position so in theory you could fire a gun anywhere in the game world and it would be set to that location and you could swap worlds in and out. As for the sphere you could make it any shape you want with maths.

One last thing this has been the subject of debate between me and my friends for many hours. We are trying to work out what this section of the concept is. It could be a mirror or an alcove in the wall or just another bit of the wall. Any opinions or help would be great.

Terminus_Hotel_Concept_What_Is_It.png

Thanks for the help. :D
  • proximity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    proximity polycounter lvl 9
    Id say thats a mirror, was my first guess anyway
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    It's most likely a quick smudge before finishing the piece, you will notice that it was supposed to be a mirror originally, since a few details and that of the upper beams are in it, but he most likely forgot about it, since the remaining of the detail isn't there anymore.
  • Prtofdacrowd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prtofdacrowd polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with @Ace-Angel, it definitely adds to the composition of the scene, however it does not seem to alter geometry along the wall panels on the bottom therefore suggesting it is only exaggerated in the scene by the lighting but it does not greatly introduce any real change into the lighting on that part of the scene (ie. another light source either visible or occluded).
  • sloth452
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not to sure what it is, I will Look in to it more. This is where I am up to at the moment. I still need to change the FOV. I still need to do more to the wall as well.

UDK_Terminus_Hotel_21_1_13.png
  • sloth452
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its been just over a week and I would like to say that this project is coming to a close. In this update I have been tweeking the lights. There have also been some changes model changes and tweeks. hope you guys like it.

UDK_Terminus_Hotel_30_1_13.png