Home General Discussion

Practicality vs Aesthetics

Hi guys, which of the two do you give more emphasis when designing? Which approach do you use i.e. have something that's practical then 'garnish' it, or build it from the word go just too look cool? Or is the illusion of practicality enough?
For instance, though it may look cool, it's hard to imagine anything more uncomfortable than the metal thong worn by Shadhee of Prince of Persia, yet the character is supposed to jump around and fight. My personal opinion is that practicality adds depth and believability to a design even though the aesthetics might take a hit. Whats your opinion?

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Aesthetics will always win out over practicality if we're talking about it from your viewpoint, that of costumes 'working'. Yes it's ridiculous to see characters with all their floppy bits hanging out while the rest of them is armoured to the teeth... but it seems to be a style that's here to stay unfortunately. Bring back dinosaurs/robots I say. :P

I agree with you on your points; if I can believe something when I see it I enjoy it more.

If you're looking at it from a standpoint of actual working practicality, i.e. animation, rigging, in-engine problems, then practicality will always win out. Frequently concept artists produce something that will need substantial tweaking to get it into engine in 3D, at a reasonable tri-count, with no issues.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it really depends on the game's artistic style, not every game calls for practical or realistic design choices. I don't think Gears of War for example would have benefited from more practical designs.

The most important thing is that the designs all work together.
  • fightpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    It's all about what is the right fit for the mood/style/tone/story etc etc..
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I think it makes more sense if you think of aesthetics as a practical thing in context. eg. flowers are bright and colorful to attract bugs, not for the sake of being beautiful.

Practical and aesthetic are not mutually exclusive. But just make sure you keep it consistent within the game universe and you should all be good.

Believability is all about consistency. Having every person in a war fully clothed and armored, then having the main character just wear a g-string and band-aids is not believable, it's a completely different story if everyone is wearing that though.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I struggle with that all the time, especially with sci.fi. environments/machinery. I always want to know how the model would work and move, and often you see things that doesn't make sense to have there but it looks cool, and that's where I have trouble, because I want to put practical function for all things I put on it.
    It also makes me research a lot about how things works, for example, at the moment I'm looking into a sci. fi. version of a forklift, but with a grib instead of just lifting, and trying to figure out how the system works and how to make it without its unrealistic (like for example its suppose to lift very heavy objects, but the pully system is thin chains, that isn't realistic).
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz wrote: »
    it's a completly different story if everyone is wearing that though.

Is it though? Whenever I see an anime clip featuring 20 thong and bikini wearing ninjas battling to the death in the bounciest way possible, I still find my eyes rolling up to heaven.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    Is it though? Whenever I see an anime clip featuring 20 thong and bikini wearing ninjas battling to the death in the bounciest way possible, I still find my eyes rolling up to heaven.
    Right, but you not liking it has nothing to do with aesthetic consistency.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Right, but you not liking it has nothing to do with aesthetic consistency.

We are not not talking about aesthetic consistency, we are talking about aesthetic justifiability.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Same thing, then. Personal taste doesn't factor into that equation. If it fits the universe, it fits and can be justified.

Look, I know you've been on a crusade against sexism lately and I can appreciate that. I'm just saying that, in this case, in the context of this discussion, that's not really relevant.

That's all.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah I'm with muzz. That's a false dichotomy. Your designs need to be able to function in whatever the constraints of your universe are -- typically real life physics, all the moving parts and buckles and belts need to be functional -- and then past that 'practicality' is a matter of characterization.

Obviously in some cases practicality takes front and center -- if your game is a hyper realistic mech simulation and you design a joint that can't articulate properly, it is going to ruin it for a lot of your audience. In most cases, imo, aesthetics take front and center -- in real life and in art, most practical tools and costumes have a lot of aesthetic concerns in their design.

Andreas I think that 'justifiability' argument is pretty weird. Justifiable is an awfully strong word. What's unjustifiable, exactly, about fighting eachother in bikinis? If the game/film/anime is supposed to be a true to life historic account of medieval finland than yeah, sure, that sounds pretty unjustifiable, but a fictional world where combat is fashionable and sexualized doesn't sound unjustifiable to me. Whether it's appealing to an audience is purely a matter of aesthetic taste, and while some people (including me) would like to see tastes change, it's not relevant to one's job as a designer persay. Design is about solving immediate problems, and if the immediate problem is "how should this kung fu biki babe look?" you can't in good faith answer with "She should not exist at all."

In regards to OP:

I felt her design was pretty consistent with the rest of the game, which was all metal cover pageantry. Her characterization was that of a confident, vain, hyper-sexual, evil woman (yuck, pop writers), and she dressed accordingly.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Same thing, then.

Absolutely not the same thing, I recommend you seek out a dictionary immediately. :)
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aesthetic consistency just sets up the rules that aesthetic justifiability plays by.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Andreas I think that 'justifiability' argument is pretty weird. Justifiable is an awfully strong word. What's unjustifiable, exactly, about fighting eachother in bikinis? If the game/film/anime is supposed to be a true to life historic account of medieval finland than yeah, sure, that sounds pretty unjustifiable, but a fictional world where combat is fashionable and sexualized doesn't sound unjustifiable to me. Whether it's appealing to an audience is purely a matter of aesthetic taste, and while some people (including me) would like to see tastes change, it's not relevant to one's job as a designer persay. Design is about solving immediate problems, and if the immediate problem is "how should this kung fu biki babe look?" you can't in good faith answer with "She should not exist at all."

Well no, you're muddling the point; it's unjustifiable because they should be wearing armour because they are firing at each other with guns and trying to slit each other up with samurai swords. Adding to this fact is that everyone knows this happens not for some important story or design element, but simply to cater for a pervy audience.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    form follows function
  • sashakataana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your input guys. If the proposed game is called 'Iron Bikini-Ninja Babes', the artist is already limited as to how far he can push the design and the players just have to assume that the characters don't chafe. However in a situation where the characters universe is hazardous with creatures and extreme temperatures, it would be sensible to take this into account in the characters design. In doing so the character might have less 'sex appeal' esp for females but the gains in believability are worth it in my opinion. For me it doesn't feel natural for bikini clad chicks (or dudes!) to be jumping over volcanoes and drop kicking zombie orcs etc.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For me it doesn't feel natural for bikini clad chicks (or dudes!) to be jumping over volcanoes and drop kicking zombie orcs etc.

I'd play it.

Bikini valcano jumper. sounds fun.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your input guys. If the proposed game is called 'Iron Bikini-Ninja Babes', the artist is already limited as to how far he can push the design and the players just have to assume that the characters don't chafe. However in a situation where the characters universe is hazardous with creatures and extreme temperatures, it would be sensible to take this into account in the characters design. In doing so the character might have less 'sex appeal' esp for females but the gains in believability are worth it in my opinion. For me it doesn't feel natural for bikini clad chicks (or dudes!) to be jumping over volcanoes and drop kicking zombie orcs etc.
    To be perfectly honest I don't think most people could spot a combat practical design if it fell in their face. Hoods are terrible for combat but I've never seen anyone complain about Assassin's Creed.

The same pretty much applies for every game, designers overuse plate to the point where characters should basically be immobile yet they're just as agile and nimble as everybody else. This doesn't even touch of the problems of wearing an overly asymmetrical outfit, loose fitting clothing, the weird ways people hold and use their weapons, the ridonkulous designs of the weapons themselves...

People however by and large never raise issue with these things. Practicality is typically only brought up in the context of under-dressed women such as both your examples.. which to me suggests that the issue has less to do with practicality and more to do with the problem of sexual objectification in games which is a point better made on its own in my opinion.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Loose fitting clothing is usually preferred - but it's not really a huge issue.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    What is important is a consistent balance of function and form. You can stylize things heavily, but consistently, or you can build supporting functions that justify a form (like the sweet M16/katana sheath in the article I'm linking)
    http://platinumgames.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/e6b1bae5ae9ae7a8bf5.jpg
    http://platinumgames.com/2012/12/27/staying-true-to-metal-gear/

The only time you will really run into problems is when you're designing something that has to move, that is impractical to the point of mechanical failure. Chainmail bikinis are fine - you can rig a model to still move correctly like that. Making a single-hinged joint on a piece of shoulder armor is going to keep it from functioning in basic ways, and no amount of rig creativity is going to fix that.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    What Muzz said.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loose fitting clothing is usually preferred - but it's not really a huge issue.
    You're right, see even I don't know :P

I'd argue that the loose fitting belts designers frequently use to get them set at an angle or hang around the waist are pretty bad though.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    To be perfectly honest I don't think most people could spot a combat practical design if it fell in their face. Hoods are terrible for combat but I've never seen anyone complain about Assassin's Creed.
    the fact that you've never seen anyone complain about design doesn't mean that nobody complains or notices such things.

for example:
    http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61306-armour-weapon-designs-a-plea-part-ii/
    http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60115-armour-and-weapon-designs-a-plea/
    over 50 pages of discussion about fantasy armour and weaponry vs. historical armour and weaponry, in the context of practicality and visual coolness.

not every fanbase is the same and fortunately there are studios out there that don't assume they can or should use ridiculously exaggerated designs just because players supposedly don't give a shit.

and sure, probably every game features some illogical, impractical, unrealistic stuff. but things like chainmail bikini or huge swords with overly complex blades are way more in yo face than wearing hood in combat. it's easier to care about them.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the fact that you've never seen anyone complain about design doesn't mean that nobody complains or notices such things.
    I never insinuated that these things never happened, just that it was not common.

I chose the hood in Assassins Creed because of the context of this thread, it's one of the best examples of a thing that is hugely impractical in a fight but adds a *LOT* to the games mood. The question of this thread was does practicality improve a design and I would argue that the choice to include the hood over something more practical enhanced the designs significantly rather than hindered it.

Regardless you've basically sidestepped my entire point which is that complaints of practicality are usually just offered as an alternative route to attack sexualized designs. Which of these two things do you think gets more attention?

An over armored character with no mobility penalty
    An under armored character with no damage penalty

The latter usually always gets more attention. Not because it "makes less sense", because you could make a pretty strong case that being under armored and able to move is a lot better than being over armored and immobile. But because sexualization is a hugely contentious issue.

I'm sure there are many people out there with armor compendiums who are legitimately upset about how impractical fantasy outfits are. But I think its fairly obvious when one type of design is constantly singled out that the issue is really not about the practicality of it.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slightly offtopic, but this subject is kinda bringing up an annoyance i have with games for the most part.

It feels like the majority of games artists design things out of context of the story or premise of a game. Like every character has to be the most awesome thing ever made, and thus everyone need to be a bad-ass fighter, or a malevolent bad guy.
    Almost like the only driving forces behind a lot of these decisions are how fucking cool can i make everything.

In a lot of ways as game artists we have more in common with actors than we do with traditional illustrators, our job is to play a part in making a cohesive and immerse experience, and sell people on the universe that you are trying to make.
    Illustrators make one off pieces to sell an idea and usually need to be punchy in a lot of ways. If you have an actor try and do that in a movie it stands out, people hate the fucking guy and the movie is made the worse for it.

context is literally the most important aspect to design. Without context your design is a free floating idea, it doesn't strengthen other ideas, or expand anything.

Ie, dont make a space marine goon or a bikini bandit just because you like tits and guns, or you will end up with a super shallow experience.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when I design a character, I try to start with the story. What is this character about? How do they fit into the world?

Like Muzz said, 'dont make a space marine goon or a bikini bandit just because you like tits and guns, or you will end up with a super shallow experience.'

After I figure out who the character is and the world they live in, I ask what their function in game is. What type of animations does this guy need to do. How close to the screen is this character?

After I get those questions answered, I design. I go for function first, then I let form follow and mold around the function. As I model, game limitations kick in and guide the form and function. I make sacrifices in form and function in order to have a character that is an efficient game model.

In the end, this process usually leads to a very solid design. You must balance everything if you want that memorable character. Too much function and you have a very bland character. Too much form and you have a ridiculous character. Too much game limitation and you have an overly simple character.

Just my 2 cents.
  • sashakataana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd play it.

Bikini valcano jumper. sounds fun.
    Ha ha! I guess it depends on your target demographic as well.
  • sashakataana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bibendum wrote: »

The same pretty much applies for every game, designers overuse plate to the point where characters should basically be immobile yet they're just as agile and nimble as everybody else. This doesn't even touch of the problems of wearing an overly asymmetrical outfit, loose fitting clothing, the weird ways people hold and use their weapons, the ridonkulous designs of the weapons themselves...

People however by and large never raise issue with these things. Practicality is typically only brought up in the context of under-dressed women such as both your examples.. which to me suggests that the issue has less to do with practicality and more to do with the problem of sexual objectification in games which is a point better made on its own in my opinion.
    Those were just two examples, not the only examples. I think to be over armored is just as bad as being under armored. Bikinis are fine so long as it is appropriate for the context eg beach volleyball game. But then again you want something that looks good, so as skankerzero says the trick is to strike a balance.
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a cool person told me "make it look cool then make it work." i like that idea.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I prefer Skankers method, which is the opposite.

'Cool' comes from a design that is so well thought out that there are many interesting things featured or even hidden away. If a character design can impress you with how clever it is, that beats strapping 20 meaningless glowy bits (or belts, if it's a JRPG design) on to a character anyday.

Example, from deviantArt:

the_turtles_by_anklesnsocks-d5ort3j.jpg

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=teenage+mutant+ninja+turtles#/d5ort3j

Check out the guys description. You may not like his interpretation, and I only like a few of them myself, but you can't deny that they are far more intriguing because he thought about his characters.
    d5ort3j
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://kotaku.com/5976075/this-games-special-edition-comes-with-a-statue-of-a-bikini+clad-severed-female-torso

I reckon this says a lot about the sorry state the industry is in... I mean just WTF. A little NSFW.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honest question ... if that was a male torso, would it be OK?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    from my perspective, living in the US, most of the media we consume is from our own culture - except for video games. Dead Island is a Polish game, I really don't know what the cultural norms in Poland are, we don't get much in the way of Polish film & music over here. I'm sure on an international level this is viewed as "Oh boy, the Americans are being PC again..."

but yeah, this is veering away from practicality vs asthetics
  • sashakataana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://kotaku.com/5976075/this-games-special-edition-comes-with-a-statue-of-a-bikini+clad-severed-female-torso

I reckon this says a lot about the sorry state the industry is in... I mean just WTF. A little NSFW.
    Yikes..its interesting how the boobies are intact, not even a scratch.
  • sashakataana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Severed male torso in a g-string would be equally disturbing ,yes.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

It would still be very fucking weird.

But the fact that they strapped boobies onto it makes it even weirder.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't buy it. It's a game about mutilating, decapitating and destroying human zombies. If you're OK with playing the game, I don't see why this statue - male or female - would cause such outrage.

If you're against the game too, well, that's a different situation.

It's not like it's, I dunno, a new Mario game and you get a special edition corpse in the box.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I prefer Skankers method, which is the opposite.

'Cool' comes from a design that is so well thought out that there are many interesting things featured or even hidden away. If a character design can impress you with how clever it is, that beats strapping 20 meaningless glowy bits (or belts, if it's a JRPG design) on to a character anyday.

Example, from deviantArt:

the_turtles_by_anklesnsocks-d5ort3j.jpg

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=teenage+mutant+ninja+turtles#/d5ort3j

Check out the guys description. You may not like his interpretation, and I only like a few of them myself, but you can't deny that they are far more intriguing because he thought about his characters.
    d5ort3j

I don't know what makes you think for a second that he didn't follow Skullface's method.

I'm not saying he did (there's no way to know unless you ask him, and it doesnt matter at all either way) but you can DEFINITELY come up with a functional, well thought out design using the approach of 'make it cool > make it work'.

I've never really spoken to a concept artist who couldn't write me an essay on each brush-stroke if they wanted to. Obviously your ENTIRE JOB as a concept artist is to design function and tell a story -- it's just how you get to that functionality and storytelling that's up for grabs.
  • sashakataana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't buy it. It's a game about mutilating, decapitating and destroying human zombies. If you're OK with playing the game, I don't see why this statue - male or female - would cause such outrage.

If you're against the game too, well, that's a different situation.

It's not like it's, I dunno, a new Mario game and you get a special edition corpse in the box.
    I think causing an outrage was the point, in other words shock value. They could have easily had a stronger piece with just a zombified hand or even head. The hypersexualization of the piece didn't add much beyond shock value in my opinion, only making it tacky.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I've been told this before, but I still follow my method. When dealing with people like that, all that really matters is that you deliver something that looks cool (cool dynamic pose in the concept, or fully rendered concept painting).

In the end, as a concept artist, you should not only be thinking about your client, but also about the people building your concept. Being a character modeler gives me a huge advantage since i can red flag issues in my 2d before they ever become a problem in my 3d. Some people think that may limit my concepts, but what good is a 'cool looking' concept if it's just not going to function in 3d?

*edit*

for the record, I'm a firm believer in letting concept artists explore and be creative. It's just that some people don't believe about being creative within set rules and guidelines. I actually think that most of the time restrictions can lead to a more creative design.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The current thing doesn't signify zombie at all. It just looks like a corpse. In-game, you have animation to show "this is not a regular corpse - it's the living dead!" and skintones etc too. Furthermore, this character has nothing to do with the game.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEmXLn7mSM8"]Dead Island Riptide - CGI Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

The girl here wears a flat colored bikini, in some dark beige ish tint. Not a union jack. Furthermore if you're in a gas explosion like they insinuate in the trailer - you'll end up as pulp, or at least crispy chunks. Not clean pink skin. For the same reasons (not tying in, wrong depiction, etc.) a male torso would be a shit idea too.

Why not a head, or a hand? A rising hand is a very well known symbol for zombies:
    Green12-zombie-hand-0409-10162228.jpg

Or why not use something closer related to the brand? A semi-submersed head for instance?
    deadisland-riptide-all-all-packshot-ps3-esrb-610x705.jpg

in short: there is no reason why this torso SHOULD be used, so by default you SHOULDN'T. Don't do things that don't have a goal.

Secondary issue is that it focuses on boobs. There are lots of wounds, heck it's completely de-limbed, but the boobs are perfectly intact. And of course sexism being a explosive subject in general, and it would be wise to treat it with care - which they are not doing.

ANYWAY! THERE IS AN ENTIRE THREAD ABOUT WOMEN IN GAMES SO LETS GET BACK TO AESTHETICS VS PRACTICALITY.

There is no versus. They can both exist - to a degree at last. Take 'commander vanderhuge' for example. I have no trouble believing this is a very practical outfit (since, hey it's from a real squad) but it's still aesthetically pleasing and it does a great job exuding strength and force.

I'm personally a believer that if you make something super functional, it usually leads to a very strong aesthetic, too. There are several ways to approach this - here's three: brutalism, jugaad or mimimalism.

Brutalism create a coolness because it apparently does not give a fuck about looks - it just works. This aesthetic is often employed in dystopian futures where everything is concrete and emotionless. Blocky strong forms.
    BoronBigTruck_s.jpgBrutalistlondon.jpg

Then there is jugaad, quick-fixes, jury-rigging or whatever you feel like calling it. Postapocalyptic, third-world, shit-hit-the-fan style. It's simple in the sense that it's the best possible solution given the circumstances. Often this gives an opportunity for lots of small details.
    Jugaad.jpg1327143536D40188.jpg

Lastly there's minimalism. Sleek, clean, expensive and using as few visual details as possible. This is a very strong trend in electronics these days: bezel-less TV's, buttonless phones, macbook style laptops. Can be combined with brutalism fairly well.
    super3.jpg2010-car-design-of-the-year-25.jpg

Those are three different kinds of 'as little as possible' with a lot of functionality, yet they have very different and very powerful aesthetics. Aesthetics does not necessarily mean pretty or decorated or sexy.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    The current thing doesn't signify zombie at all. It just looks like a corpse. In-game, you have animation to show "this is not a regular corpse - it's the living dead!" and skintones etc too. Furthermore, this character has nothing to do with the game.

Dead Island Riptide - CGI Trailer - YouTube

The girl here wears a flat colored bikini, in some dark beige ish tint. Not a union jack. Furthermore if you're in a gas explosion like they insinuate in the trailer - you'll end up as pulp, or at least crispy chunks. Not clean pink skin. For the same reasons (not tying in, wrong depiction, etc.) a male torso would be a shit idea too.
    Why does the torso have to belong to the woman in the trailer? It can't just be a random torso? It's a zombie apocalypse, there has to be plenty of torsos lying around. There's bound to be more than just "boat woman" who died before becoming a zombie.

And would you have approved of it if it were not pink and therefore zombie colored and more relevant? (Tons of zombies everywhere, lots of them missing limbs, maybe someone chopped its head off to kill it?)

Furthermore does the trailer even have anything to do with the game? I remember when the first games trailer came out people were excited about it and then it turned out it was basically just a CGI one off. I never played this game so I have no idea what is really relevant to the plot or not.
    Snader wrote: »
    in short: there is no reason why this torso SHOULD be used, so by default you SHOULDN'T. Don't do things that don't have a goal.
    Is this your opinion or are you laying down the artistic law? The caps, bold text and lack of any uncertain terms makes you look like you're issuing a declaration that everyone should fall in line behind.

Edit: Fixed a major misunderstanding my part, sorry
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great points Snader.

I agree with everything you say. I'm a firm believer of finding that balance to make a memorable character.

For instance, 'commander vanderhuge'. His outfit is very functional and aesthetically pleasing. My main issue with him is that if you put him into a group with his men, you will lose him in the crowd. This is a case where you've figured out the function of the outfit, now it's time to jazz him up a little to make him stand out. Be it through facial hair, scars, maybe a little more adornment, etc. Figure out his story and overlay it on your design.
    But the important thing is that I can look at that outfit, build it in 3d and make it work.

I think another good example of form before function vs function before form is Street Fighter vs King of Fighters. With both of these examples, I'm referring to their earlier games as both franchises have found a better balance as they have transitioned over to 3d.

Early SF had what I consider form before function. They set out to make very iconic characters with little regard to function while KoF set out to make functional, more real world outfits. SFs transition to 3d and KoFs drive to compete has caused both franchises to balance out over the years with SF characters having their outfits adjusted and KoF characters becoming a bit more jazzed up.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    You guys are wayy overthinking this shit. man.
    I never had to think this much about a character wow. lol
    I love you Jesse, but damn my man, ^_^

Aestethic, practical. If it looks cool I reckon its practical for my use. I guess common sense help? If i think this uge ass armor on is shoulder looks So great even if in the real world that shit be heavy.. ill make it anyway..
    But im pretty sure i wont give him a pouch around the head.. ( unless it does look great,,)

And id much rather a client tell me about them big breast, then that the character is the sister of the white queen of the north west.

^_^
    Also whats with all the breast and ass issue on polycount. Man, you guys are gay, cant people do whatever they fucking like on their own art. Please bitches.

Im done for 2013!
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also whats with all the breast and ass issue on polycount. Man, you guys are gay, cant people do whatever they fucking like on their own art. Please bitches.
    Because we are commercial artists and are responsible for the messages that our art gives the consumers intended or unintended?

Like it was stated earlier, it's all about context. This shit doesn't matter unless you have the greater context of the world for the character to fit into.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll wrote: »
    You guys are wayy overthinking this shit. man.
    I never had to think this much about a character wow. lol
    I love you Jesse, but damn my man, ^_^
    Granted, me speaking/typing about this all takes a lot longer than what it would actually take for me to apply.

Lately I've been working with lots of transforming armor that have to work across different combinations, so making something look cool for the sake of it looking cool really is not the best approach. As stated above, something functional can look cool.

Aestethic, practical. If it looks cool I reckon its practical for my use. I guess common sense help? If i think this uge ass armor on is shoulder looks So great even if in the real world that shit be heavy.. ill make it anyway..
    Most of my workflow in the design process has nothing to do with it's application in the real world. It all has to work within the confines of it's own world. Functionality to me means that it will animate and deform well.
    Hell, I'm the last one that should be talking about designs that translate over to the real world.
    base01.JPG
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, good points snader. But of course, when the OP started this thread did mention the bikini cladedness of characters, so this discussion is still on topic.
    I don't know what makes you think for a second that he didn't follow Skullface's method.

In his description he states that he worked with the turtles for a time before starting this piece, and that this helped him to think and get to know the characters.
    The hypersexualization of the piece didn't add much beyond shock value in my opinion, only making it tacky.

Nail on the head.

If the point of your art is simply 'tits & ass', it's tacky. It's one step up from Poser Art. Which is fucking tragic because of the hundreds of hours hard graft an artist puts in becoming an actual artist instead of learning how to use the boob/muscle slider in Poser.
    b1ll wrote: »

^_^
    Also whats with all the breast and ass issue on polycount. Man, you guys are gay

How ridiculously immature.
    Because we are commercial artists and are responsible for the messages that our art gives the consumers intended or unintended?

Agreed. I find myself saddened when playing Arkham City, for example. Every opportunity for a camera shot of a female characters perfect ass is taken. Especially if they're doing a bubblegum walk, which they all do! And of course they all have perfect double D's. And their faces are covered in slap; the spec maps just make them look revolting, not appealing.

It's a really bad direction to be heading in. Give me real women like those we see in Uncharted. Give me more games like Journey, Shadow of Collosus, The Last of Us! Leave this teenage hormonal bullshit behind.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    IMO its all about context. If I'm willing to believe that magic imbued rock golums exist and faeries are at war and all that .... well..I guess bikini armor and giant shoulder pads aren't too much a stretch. Unless the art direction of the game has made it clear it's supposed to look somewhat grounded in reality.
    I might also add; I think that in games, especially where you don't have much character development, when someone has to immediately gravitate to like/dislike a character, aesthetics trump practicality. Simple visual language, strong silhouette, stereotypes, tropes. If there is more time to dwell on the character then give their design more room to breath, subdue some of that crazyness and focus on making them relate-able.
  • a3sthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a3sthesia polycounter lvl 10
    if you're giving up aesthetics to be practical, then to put it bluntly, it won't have aesthetics.

Having said that though, some practical things are their own kind of aesthetic... ^_^
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    I feel I must say something about the Assassin's Creed hood argument. Assassins aren't really supposed to be in open combat unless they've royally frucked up. Assassin's in the AC universe are supposed to be stealthy so-and-so's who use society's hangups to their own advantage. That being said, it kind of makes sense that their hoods aren't good in a fight. They aren't supposed to fight - they're supposed to kill.

Warning: Massive Cop-Out Ahead.

I'm inclined to agree with both skanker and skullface, and I believe that both methods/ideologies have their own practical applications.

Skanker's method works especially well when all of those questions have answers. When you know exactly what you're looking for, and form follows function, it makes sense. It also means that it becomes a bit easier to zero-in on exactly what you want. I've come up with some pretty cool characters that way.

I also find merit in the method mentioned by Skullface. Sometimes, you have no idea what you want until you see something you've just made. Then, when you're looking at it, suddenly ideas start popping in your head ranging from "how it moves" to "what it's about". They start to take on a creative life of their own, and as you're finding the answers to those questions, you kinda get the feeling that you're exploring yourself in the process. Some of my favorite characters that I've designed have come from that method.

So, yeah. I can see utility in both approaches.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero wrote: »
    So, yeah. I can see utility in both approaches.

I think most people can, of course there are merits to both methodoligies. Some times we just gotta sketch things out in Alchemy to get the juices flowing. :thumbup: It's not as completely black and white as what is the right and wrong way to do something.