drawing multiple details on a texture for 1 plane

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
4evra polycounter lvl 4
Title might be a bit confusing :)
I;m gonna simplify the example.
hSURG.jpg
This is a top view.
So,i've made a plane(with yellow texture), and i made a cube on top of it(white texture).
Now,i want the plane to have blue stripes going throught it,aligned to the cube edges.

Right now,i just cut more polygons on plane,making the borders for those strips,so i know where exactly are they placed when i UV them.
Now,i would like to know if there is a way that u can "mark" where those blue lines would be in a 1 piece of UV(from plane),without cutting the plane or without seams?
Or is the trial and error only way to do it?You keep texturing and modifying the position of blue strips until it fits?

Replies

• Autarkis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autarkis polycounter lvl 8
    I dont think that there is a way to just mark it. What I usually do is bake out a quick ambient occlusion map using the plane as the low poly and the plane and cube as the high resolution one and it will show you where the edges of that would be in your texture map. Or like you're doing, just add loops where that is, do a quick texture for the stripes and go back to your original model.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    If you cut like that for a simple mesh like a plane and a box is easy, but when you start to model a more complex building for example will getting more complex. What I do normally is just planar map UV the polygon of the front and back for guide and render the UV together then put it on photoshop or other image editing software where you create your texture, now you have a guide together with exact location in your UV map.
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    Yeah,that the reason why im asking.
    I't tends to get messy,and lately i needed to do some flatten mapping,so the little pieces made the hell of UVing :)
    Thanks guys
    Thought i really hoped there was some feature that would enable me to place a "marker" on object,which would translate into UV,while not creating more seams or more loops