Home General Discussion

Concepting, what is your process?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
I've been concepting in 2 different ways. I use the traditional 2d sketch approach and the 3d approach using scuptris. The same thing can be done using dynamesh for you Zbrush aficianados.
I'm finding the quick 3d sketch helps me more because I can define the entire character in a rough 3d form and see it from all angles.
Here's a link to someone else that does this
http://nickzucc.blogspot.com/2012/07/concepting-in-zbrush-with-dynamesh.html

So, what is your process?

Replies

• schneller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schneller polygon
    I like to use both 2d and 3d for concepting. It's a great way to mix it up. Also, photobashing can be other good 2d method if done correctly.

As for when and why, I think it comes down more to what your goals are, how much time you have, etc. A skilled artist can probably knock out way more 2d silhouettes and sketches than 3d roughs. However, by using 3d as a base you start out with good perspective and can evaluate a design in the same format as your final output. Some things that look fantastic in 2d don't translate to 3d so well. Basically it comes down to having a big bag of tricks, and using what is appropriate for the situation.

For more examples of mixing 2d and 3d look at artists like Ben Mauro, Jerad Marantz, and our very own fightpunch. One interesting thing is that it seems doing sculpts + paintovers for characters is more common in the film industry, though I could be wrong.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    i pretty much do it as 2d only, but every now and then i try to incorporate Max into workflow, without much success.
    Advantages of using 3d are obvious but somehow all my design creativity disappears as soon as i launch Max.

that said yesterday i took some of my tilable SF textures and started randomly mapping them on old models. a couple of interesting things came out of this.

If anyone knows any Max (or free software) based tutorials for mixing 2d and 3d, share them plz.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    My favorite so far is starting with a bunch of loose gestural scribbles or silohettes in photoshop or on paper, then cut out the ones I don't like, refine, cut out more, refine, cut out more, once the basic silhouette is figured out, (usually from a 3/4 view), I will start drawing turnarounds and/or roughing up shapes in 3d programs. I'm still pretty new at concepting so often roughing things in using 3d programs leads back to screengrabbing and drawing over those in Photoshop.
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Jay Hawkins used the 2d/3d approach. He would make the basic shape in Max, Render it out with lighting, and then do a paintover in Photoshop. Gauss would know more about his process than me though. It seemed to work well enough for his UT3, and Gears concepts.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    DavePhipps wrote: »
    I think Jay Hawkins used the 2d/3d approach. He would make the basic shape in Max, Render it out with lighting, and then do a paintover in Photoshop. Gauss would know more about his process than me though. It seemed to work well enough for his UT3, and Gears concepts.

Actually, he solves design issues before moving to Max. He spend a good time drawing in PS, and testing new shapes to see what really works with the character. When things are well stablished, then he moves to Max and blocks everything. After Max model it's pretty much done, he makes some renders, and turns back to PS, to add details and work in post production.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/534/Gears-of-War-Creature-Design#.UPUYkCdJxPI

Max is just used as his rendering tool, but the actual design is made by drawing. He could paint his creatures, instead of using Max, but he says on DVD that 3D helps to achieve more accurate perspective/light and shading with less efforts.

Im my opinion, design should be done by drawing too. 3D is just to make better renders, thing that you can acomplish with a good painting. Much people say that 3d is great, because let you do all the angles. But you should always draw your concepts in different angles too. And provide orthos to the modeler. Design using 3d softwares is not so easy and not so fast as using pencil and paper.
  • JR
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for clarifying that JR, and I wish I could afford those DVDs.
    Damn my poor student budget!