Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New Architectural Interior and Environment Model

Hey all,

It's been a while since I've made a post here, so I've decided to challenge myself and include some documentation of my workflow. I have been wanting to do an interior scene for a while, and especially one of my grandparents' house. The place has a lot of personality and there are a lot of unique details and individual props. After playing LA Noire, I got inspired to try and create an environment with as many props as possible and have an ultra-pack environment where there is always something new to look at. I also am a fan of the way Quntic Dream created their environments for Heavy Rain because they are more convincing than your standard oversized and disproportionate environment of past games, that were specifically created for fast-paced gameplay and a first-person vantage point. So without further ado, I will show the work and progress of this piece and plan to get it fully textured, lit, and rendered in UDK.

Reference Images:
I have some more moody night shots and lots of different angles, because I want to match the scene as closely as possible to capture the character. I won't post all of the pictures but a few to give an example of what I am going for.

IMG_0063_zps6eb2cb9f.jpg

IMG_0071_zps36da9fea.jpg

IMG_0072_zps52b153de.jpg

IMG_0123_zpsc7aeb0fd.jpg

IMG_0064_zps79adf111.jpg

IMG_0068_zps1470135d.jpg

IMG_0067_zps8e97d1be.jpg

IMG_0053_zpsd49bc3f3.jpg

IMG_0060_zps7a37f6c2.jpg

IMG_0059_zpsb6152e8e.jpg

IMG_0058_zps50585979.jpg

IMG_0050_zpsff6b80fa.jpg

First WIP Post:

Floorplan_QuickRef.jpg
A quick blueprint that I made of the area.

WIP_03.jpg

WIP_02.jpg

WIP_01.jpg

I'll be back soon with more.
-Jonathan

Replies

• MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    looking sweet Jonathan! very curious to see this progress.
  • Kridian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kridian polycounter lvl 14
    I love to look at interiors like these. So many knick-knacks with precious memories throughout.

Drying that dish towel on the kitchen light can't be safe(?) :poly141:

Best of luck!
  • AbKI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    Subscribed, looking really cool. :)
  • JonathanArmstrong
    Thanks all for the responses. Yes, I am a fan of all of the stuff also but I've been struggling with wanting to use unique props or to use a bunch of instances instead. It seems that it will be what is best permitted by time, although I will try and use as many instanced objects as possible.

Drying the towel on the lamp wouldn't be safe, although I think that the towel was there to dim the light and have it directed only to a certain area so it wouldn't be in my grandmother's eyes while she watched TV from the back. Equally as unsafe ;)

WIP 2:

So the blueprint that I used is not the most accurate. I tried to size everything based on the grid in Maya and using 10 units as one foot. I will size accordingly for UDK later. The shell of the room started out okay but I noticed that many of the smaller elements and furniture and appliances didn't line up correctly. The more I study the photos, the more I am enlightened to the placement of the objects and their spacial relationship. There are even new things that I discover each time I look at the pictures, or areas that I feel that I don't want to do because there is such a small prop with too much detail. :) I am trying to match everything as closely as possible, but I am perceiving that certain objects will have to be replaced with simpler ones because they are too unique and also small, and I am focusing on the larger vision of the aesthetic of the room and don't want to get bogged down with a tiny prop that doesn't add much to the "Gestalt."

Here are the Maya captures:

WIP2_03.jpg
    I've been using the barbaric method of using cubes for my unit measurements. That's why all of the cubes are around the perimeter of the structure and may be seen randomly next to other objects in the scene.

WIP2_02_zps0698951d.jpg
    Models are still in varying degrees of completeness. I at least try to rough in the overall silhouette before I replace with a more exact model (for instance, the lamp shape).

WIP2_01_zps3fcf9840.jpg

Added the ceiling fan and started the basis of the deer heads.

Thanks everyone for viewing!
  • JonathanArmstrong
    New update. I have color-coded the wireframe of the objects to communicate to myself that purple is instanced objects, blue is non instanced, yellow is Zbrush props, and the red cubes are areas that are important that still need to be either updated or have more objects added to them. For now I am mostly done with the modeling and will start UVing and create base textures next.

WIP3_03_zps8ab4fdc4.jpg

WIP3_02_zpsc37b94f3.jpg

WIP3_01_zpsae3ab35f.jpg
  • E_Hollaway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks like its for the MCR class at Full Sail. :) Looks good though, thats a lot of modeling and texturing to do!
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    At first i was like "something is off with your pictures dude".
  • JonathanArmstrong
    @Anchang-Style Something is off with my pictures? I don't get it? Unless you are referring to the broken link that they had until I fixed the issue.

@E_Hollaway I don't know that class but yes it is a lot of texturing. Thankfully most are photo-sourced, but the bad part is that the images where not taken straight on or with a better camera (I was using my phone) so there will be a lot cleaning to do and removing the graininess.

Progress: I have box-unwrapped a lot of the objects with my favorite grid texture. I have also been custom unwrapping certain items such as the props. I have also started on some of the major tiling diffuse maps for the architectural elements and now I'm moving on to the texturing of the flat surfaces. I'm putting most small props on texture sheets so I don't have tons of textures. I am also making sure to group them by those that will have similar maps: like all of the alpha objects on one sheet, for example, so that I don't have to have an alpha channel for each sheet if there are only a few small objects that actual need the transparency. The textures are pretty quick and dirty for the props as I'm mainly focusing on the placement in the UV space and the dimensions. I will polish the textures later, once I have a majority of objects textured and correctly unwrapped. The normal and spec maps will also come later, too.

Here are the screenshots:

WIP05_03_zps7963a4cf.jpg

WIP05_02_zpsd454183a.jpg

WIP05_01_zps0ef442f2.jpg

WIP05_05_zps88d25bd4.jpg

WIP05_04_zpsfa3f66ad.jpg
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    Not sure how I missed this, but it looks like a great project and a ton of work. Can't wait til you start dropping stuff into UDK.