Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blizzard Character Contest

Back again!
Heres my character design for the blizzard contest. He is meant to be a npc found in the WoW world. I imagine him as an old martial artist master who has returned to his secluded village in the swamplands. Feedback is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Replies

• tannerhanss
  • DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 12
    This is gonna be tough to read... It's tough to type.

Kind of an interesting concept... But...

He doesn't seem very Blizzard-ish. I'm no expert on Blizzard, heck, I don't even like their games, but they have a certain distinctive aesthetic. For starters, there's a lot of high-frequency detail there that I don't remember seeing in much Blizzard stuff. I think that high-frequency detail is a part of what's throwing off the visual hierarchy of your character.

For a lizard-man, he's awfully monochromatic. If memory serves, lizards and amphibians usually have some color variation. The back and belly are usually different from each other.
  • Lord Waffles
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Waffles polycounter lvl 10
    I'm by no means a master, but as DashXero said...blizzard graphics focus a lot more on hand painted details. You are off to a good start, but it feels a little too noisy.

Here is an Orc from WoW
    orc_warrior.jpg

If you look there isn't a whole lot of detail, it's actually pretty bland. For example the beads around his neck have noise on it where it would probably look closer to blizzards artwork if you removed the noise and kept it one solid color and a small amount of lighting detail. I would say a blizzard frogman probably wouldn't have the small scales and skin detail. They might have a little, but not all over the body.

Overall great start!
  • tannerhanss
    @dashxero thanks for your input! I know he is not the true blizzard style, but I was pushing some realistic aspects; i.e. the scales and noise, but after looking at some other entry's I may go back in and tweak some of my past choices. And he is a toad man! not a lizard man!

@lord waffles thanks for the example, these projects were my first attempt at hand painting textures so i know they need a lot of work. But thanks again for all the input guys!

Update coming up tonight!
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Hi! To piggy back on what was said before... Everything is very exaggerated in blizzard games. Try to adjust the hues as you go up and down in value. For example try going from green to blue as his skin gets darker. Or start with dark green and shift to yellow as it brightens Play around with colors and try to find a nice color harmony using color theory.

Remember to make his outfit larger than life. Since your toad guy already looks sorta tribal check this guy out for some reference(Also note the triadic color scheme).

voljin.jpg