Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tron Inspired Environment WIP

I've been lurking around polycount for a some time now and while I am still a student I figure it'd be a good idea to post some of my work to get feedback and critiques to up my game before graduation.

One of my current WIP's is a game environment based on Disney's TRON franchise.
So here we go:

Flynn's Arcade:

Flynn's%20Arcade%20Progress%20render.png

The current breakdown:

Grid scale: 256 units (for UDK)
Total number of pieces making up the arcade: 45
Number of pieces that have duplicates: 20
Arcade Polycount: 3,335
Tri Count: 6, 477
Time Taken: 8 hours
Program used: 3ds Max 2013

Props I've been working on for the level:

Flynn's Lightcycle base model:

Flynn's%20Lightcycle%20render.png

The Breakdown:

Polycount: 712
Tri count: 1,428
Time Taken: 2 hours

Recognizer base model:

Recginizer%20Progress%20Shot.png

The Breakdown:

Polycount: 1,352
Tri Count: 2,700
Time Taken: 5 hours

Please note that none of these models have any textures on them. Critiques are much appriecated.

Replies

• PixelSuit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Shadowliger, that's a good start, do you have any reference images you are working from? Could you post them and maybe some wire frame shots please? It will be a lot easier to critique if we can compare to the concept and check out your wire frames.

One thing that immediately stands out are the front wheel arch and the back wheel on the bike, I think you can afford to throw a few more polygons towards those. I would say the bike is really the hero piece of the scene since the vehicles are one thing Tron is known for, it will probably be one of the first things to draw a viewers eye. I would expect more polygons in the bike than in the recognizer asset for example due to its sleek shape and look.

Looking forward to seeing this progress, will you use any glow in the scene? I'm a sucker for Tron style glow!
  • Acid_Wire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I assume you're going by this: tron__legacy___flynn__s_arcade_by_barontieri-d38ecmw.jpg

I would love to see this scene done justice. Keep going and show some wires :)
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Looks like a great start, the proportions are looking okay, try and get the same atmosphere without paying too much attention to how accurate the vertices are placed. You have a good perception of the 3D elements I'd disregard the bike and just continue on the environment.
  • Shadowliger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll add the wires to my next update.
  • Shadowliger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay here's some quick shot of the same models but with the wireframes. No changes have been made to them yet.

Flynn's%20Arcade%20Wireframe.png

Flynn's%20lightcycle%20wireframe.png

Recognizer%20wireframe.png

Hopefully this helps with the critiques. And thanks again for the feedback. When I get a spare moment I'll implement the changes advised.
  • Shadowliger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An update to Flynn's Lightcycle, added more polys to smooth out the shape. Also updated the smoothing groups to match.

Current model Polycount: 1,184

Lightcycle%20progress2.png

And of course the wireframe:

Flynn's%20Lightcycle%20progress%20wireframes.png
  • Shadowliger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reworked Flynn's Arcade a bit.

Changes made:

--Added more verts to the arches to smooth them some more
    --Changed around some of the pieces to smooth out the building (especially around the curved front near the Flynn's sign)
    --Adjusted some preportions to make them for accurate
    --Added the molding blocks to the crown of the building
    --Completely remade the arch windows above the Flynn sign

Flynn's%20Arcade%20update2.png

The Current Polycount is: 8,143

PS-any tips on making the molding blocks on the crown not have so many polys but retain the shape?
  • Shadowliger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took a break from working on Flynn's Arcade and instead finished Flynn's Lightcycle. Texturing it took a surprisingly long time because I wasn't sure how to created the glossy shine. Most tutorials I read said to stay away from white diffuse color...which didn't work because the Lightcycle supposed to be white. I finally achieved that look by following and tweaking this tutorial: http://cg-india.com/tutorials/3dsmax-materials-adv.html

LightcycleRenderFin.png

The Breakdown:

Total Polycount: 1,822
    Total Tri-count: 3,740
    Time taken (total): 22 hours
    Maps: Diffuse, Specular Level, Normal
    Programs used: 3DS Max 2013, Paintshop Pro X4, Zbrush 4R4
  • Shadowliger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynn's Arcade textured, also played with some lighting.

Flynn's%20Arcade%20Textured%20Render2.png

The Breakdown:

Current polycount (total):7,984
    Number of pieces (total): 47
    Number of modular pieces: 26
    Time Taken (unwrapping/texturing): 7 hours
    Texture maps: Diffuse Color, Specular Level, Normal, Reflection (10% raytrace)
    Programs used: 3Ds Max 2013, Zbrush 4R4, Paint Shop Pro X4
    Renderer: Mental Ray
  • PixelSuit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Shadowliger, great job on the silhouettes for both pieces, looks like you got both shapes down. The textures seem a little basic at the minute, a little variation would go a long way with both pieces.

With the bike, I can see two sections which end in a point where they actually end in a curve on the actual bike. I'm guessing these end in a point due to polygon restrictions but if not that's something you could look at.

The specular map seems very strong on the brick texture, I think the reflection on the brick in the concept is coming from the strong lighting around and on top of the building. I can see some tiling issues on the brick texture too, mainly where the middle section meets the two side pieces (just next to the windows)

Great start, it would be helpful to see some of your textures too if possible for further crits. Looking forward to seeing more!
  • Shadowliger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the continued crtiques PixelSuit I appreciate them. I'll post the texture maps in my next update. As for your critique on the lightcycle, do you mean the metal arch on the back top of the bike above the back wheel? If so then I can easily fix that. If not could you please be a little more specific as to where you mean?

I'll tone down the brick spec and possibly the raytrace relectivity too. And yes, I agree my tiling job does need some more love.
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Hey shadowlinger, good start so far! The bike is looking pretty good and scale of building is on track too.

I had a go at doing the real world version last year, you can check it out if you want.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101316

Main thing I learnt was not to be too restrictive on poly's and texture quality!