Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-Fi Sniper Rifle

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
OnionCake polycounter lvl 6
Greetings Polycounters !

I've decided my portfolio really needs some hard surface bits, so I wanted to model a gun. On top of that, I wanted something with a mixture of hard surface and organic shapes to show off that I can do that sort of thing (hopefully). I searched the interwebs for some good designs, and came up with the following, which I'm going to try to duplicate:
1276x432_11534_Rail_sniper_rifle_2d_sci_fi_gun_weapon_rifle_concept_art_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

Current Progress:
(Problem areas: Scope is bad - Going to redo, 'cheeck-rest' looks bad every time I model it, so I'm going to leave it out completely, handle is a separate mesh from the rest of the gun to preserve as much mirroring as possible.)
day4.jpg

So far, progress is pretty slow. This has taken around 14ish hours total, which is less than adequate, considering how blobby some of the organics is. I'll try to keep in-progress images coming so people can voice concerns and complaints.

Edit: I'll be out for the weekend, more progress Monday ! :D

Comments, criticisms, and rants are enjoyed and encouraged~

Replies

• reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    Whoa! those are some crazy shapes going on. Over-all I think you're doing a pretty good job of controlling it, but you're right - it is a little blobby. If this were Max I'd ask if you'd tried sub-d by smoothing groups, as it'd probably get you cleaner and easier to manage results...no idea if there's a way to do that in maya though..since there are no smoothing groups :/
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I would try and not do the concept exactly as it is, well, as it us, but make it less blobby. For example you could try to give actual shapes and purpose to the shapes. I can't really think of a good way to explain this without modeling it myself.

The best example I can think of is this: UJsLH.jpg
    You can try and make it look somewhat mechanical.
  • OnionCake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OnionCake polycounter lvl 6
    @reverendK - Yeah, this is modeled with pure bevels. I'll post some wires in the next post once I figure out how I want to do this.

@AlexCatMasterSupreme - So, you think I should make more harder edges, and keep only the straight-forward curves? I think that's a good way to go. It would definitely make it a whole lot easier, and probably make it easier for a viewer too.

Thanks for the comments!