Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Space Marine model - work in progress

Hi

Personal modeling work.
My first try with Space Marine character.
Modeled with Cinema 4D.
This is not designed for any game engine but
inspired by WH40K.
Any feedback is appreciated on how to improve
the model.

Work in progress
http://kraphik3d.com/wordpress/?p=1043

Turntable
http://youtu.be/qAgKg8wXdcM

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    You still gotta change a lot on the shape there

Also try changing phong angle to 55% to get better shading , and if you dont lay
    out an UV, you will have ugly-looking textures, unless you have a really detailed mesh.

Also check out some tutorials about lightning, 3 point lights, and global illumination
  • kraphik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate your comments. There are not any textures yet so I should unwrap and make bitmap textures. Now there´s only c4d shaders.
    Perhaps the legs need better modeling.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure whats going on here. Im not trying to sound mean here, but have you ever seen a Space Marine from the 40k universe? Beacuse thats what you are waiming for right?

I can get that its not 100% going for that style but still, it lacks alot of defenition and style. The legs just looks like weird blobs.Helmet also needs a rework.
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    You've got some of the base shapes nailed down, but they need refining and you also need to start using several smoothing groups as the armour of a space marine has several hard edges. For example the shoulder pads. Your model also has the adsence of a waist.

Personally I would go back and segment the armour into several individual pieces rather than all one object, for example the arm is one single element. You could break that down into 3 to 4 pieces. This will give your character a better sense of proportion and give the appearance of layers with the armour.

I've took the liberty of find a few referance images that may help you.

Possible proportions to give you an idea of the anatomy.
    PhilipSibberingSpaceMarine_size.jpg

This images should give you a better understanding of the surface edges and the undersuit.
    chainsword__warhammer_40k_space_marine_for_xnalara_by_the_joeblack-d5i5uz4.jpg

and just an overall shilouette and appearance
    sidonus_0.png?1306274892

All in all you've got most of the points and key feature of a space marine nailed down, so well done. But, just spend more time refining... just give yourself that added push and you'll see the difference. Good Luck.
  • kraphik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visceral wrote: »
    Not sure whats going on here. Im not trying to sound mean here, but have you ever seen a Space Marine from the 40k universe? Beacuse thats what you are waiming for right?

I can get that its not 100% going for that style but still, it lacks alot of defenition and style. The legs just looks like weird blobs.Helmet also needs a rework.

thanks for comments.
    I referenced my old WH40K models and most of modeling is from miniatures from early 90´s. I agree legs are too rounded blobs and need better modeling.
  • kraphik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array wrote: »
    You've got some of the base shapes nailed down, but they need refining and you also need to start using several smoothing groups as the armour of a space marine has several hard edges. For example the shoulder pads. Your model also has the adsence of a waist.

Personally I would go back and segment the armour into several individual pieces rather than all one object, for example the arm is one single element. You could break that down into 3 to 4 pieces. This will give your character a better sense of proportion and give the appearance of layers with the armour.

I've took the liberty of find a few referance images that may help you.

Possible proportions to give you an idea of the anatomy.
    PhilipSibberingSpaceMarine_size.jpg

This images should give you a better understanding of the surface edges and the undersuit.
    chainsword__warhammer_40k_space_marine_for_xnalara_by_the_joeblack-d5i5uz4.jpg

and just an overall shilouette and appearance
    sidonus_0.png?1306274892

All in all you've got most of the points and key feature of a space marine nailed down, so well done. But, just spend more time refining... just give yourself that added push and you'll see the difference. Good Luck.

Highly appreciated the new style references. Thanks!

I used some ancient wh40k models as a refence.
    I think it´s more useful to model some parts from the scratch.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really great posts with the references, im looking foreward to seeing moore of your progress :)