Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[LiGHT] Indie french game model dev

Hi,

I've been wandering, watching wonderfull arts on this forum too long, not using what looks like a great community to talk with and get some help on my work.

As title says, I'm an indie french dev, originally pro 3D artist, got my own small team (1 coder and 2 sound designers), etc. We are working on a game named Into The LiGHT (#ITL via twitter). It should looks like a Silent Hill game (camera style, ambient horror, horror/reasoning game type) I'm gonna introduce the main character : Aurora, fashion, sportsteen, 18 old. Game takes place in 2024/2025. The Game is produced using UDK.

Concept art (please consider my 2D skills are really low) :

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4491/aurorev2finalisation.jpg

aurorapants.jpg

Polys limit is 25/30K tris. Currently ~21K tris.

I've made a full nude model and currently working on pants, then clothes, etc. Player will be able to change her attire. Hair are kinda done in some beta version. Need to fix it.

What I'm expecting : feel free to mention any topology, anatomy error or whatever you think I made bad. Since I want a (not photo) realist model, I'm totally open to criticism.

Thank you for reading !

Replies

• Grorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again,

I corrected myself lots of things : proportions, main anatomical errors, redesigned face. Currently working on mesh to erase triangles and export it to Zbrush. Basic pants are done.

tweaking.jpg
  • Grorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More infos about the game (which will use an innovative concept into gameplay majors actions) :

well, what is LiGHT ? LiGHT is a video game project i started working on July, with a small team. LiGHT will be a game-oriented horror and reflection. There will be no overarmed fighting. You will need to use your brain and find solutions to the puzzles that will be asked. Do not think this is just a point and click game! Not at all. Like a Silent Hill or Amnesia game, LiGHT will be primarily an ambient game for a mature audience.

Pitch : a young american woman investigates the disappearance of her parents in the family mansion, established in France.

About the game story line : it may looks very standard right now, I understand. When demo will release (2013 third quarter or something like that), players will understand that this is not just another booth babe action game with some scary scenes. Psychological terror is the most powerful form of violence.

I'm also defending a different view of what is art and anatomy in video games. I have great admiration and respect about video game artists who are artisans of game designers ideas. But, still, I think this is not true art. I mean I won't be able to make such good models as many guys here, but realism is not the key of beauty, neither art. Perfect anatomy/object/decorative realism and its derivatives only form a branch of what art is. I know that most of people think art is nothing without mastering technic side and I agree with the basis. But think about that, please. Think about what could be video games tomorrow and what we could do for our players, for our childs and young people : stop throwing them some babes, bodybuilders, androgynik-EMO heroes, stopping anatomy stereotype and trying to recreate things as they are, regardless of the Television fashion reich, adding a true reflection behind the fun, based on a real and thorough study of the issues in the future, not to mention a game is a game and have to remain it cool to play.

This is the way I think ; this is how I imagine the game and it is the LiGHT that guides my steps. More updates coming soon. Thank you very much for reading.
  • ASGUARDVIKING
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks cool so far, will be cool to see more.
  • Grorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update : hair modeling is ~done. Finishing the body rig setup. Then, rig fingers, hair and make some new animation cycles tests.

rigging3d.jpg
  • Grorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update : body rig done, wrists, hands and fingers done for now (need to fix thumbs). Next step before Zbrush, hair rig.

handsrig.jpg
  • Grorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update : correction of the first maniphalanx for better fist closure (I realized that the first fist rig'pose version was terrible), thumbs correction and some minor others fixes (not totally done) :

righandsnew.jpg

Playing around with rigging to check deformations, getting almost 'ok2anim' I guess :

poseaurore.jpg
  • Grorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, long time without posting, some updates :

New character version with clothes & textures (color/alpha/spec/normal/transluency, rendered in Marmoset), many corrections (hands size, hair style, triangulation, normals, etc), textures almost done on char, trinkets goodies will come after, working on Fringe style hair :
    screenshot1kf.jpg
    Full model with std lighting here : https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/716/fullmodel.jpg

Top of that, I'm working on items models (textures will come soon), here are some of them, available in the upcoming playable demo this fall :

itemsuf.jpg