Home Technical Talk

The Polygon Pilgrimage - Join the journey towards becoming a better artist!

Novian
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Novian polycounter lvl 12
Greetings all!

I just wanted to stop by and share with you something I've been working on.

The Polygon Pilgrimage is my blog/series where I share tips, tricks, software demos, and all manner of other 3d art related things.

The Pilgrimage has two goals:

Firstly to share and chronicle my journey as a growing artist.

Secondly to share the knowledge I have with all my 3d friends, amateurs and veterans alike. I hope that this helps other artists grow as well.

It's all about getting better and making ever increasingly beautiful art.

Any comments, suggestions, or ideas are very welcome.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Journey onwards Pilgrims!

Link: http://www.polygonpilgrimage.com

Cheers~

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Novian wrote: »
    Greetings all!

Please have a look and let me know what you think. I am always looking to improve the format, content, and flow.
    I didn't look at any videos, it's getting a bit late. If your videos didn't have titles relevant to the site, I would have assumed each entry came from a bot trying to inflate view counts. Scanning the page, it doesn't flow well, too much fluff. Add some character!

You don't need a logo in every post, and write something, a small summary to entice someone to watch. "GIMP AO Split"? Ain't nobody got time for a title like that!

Cheers for documenting what you're doing, it is always helpful.
  • Novian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Throttle kitty,

Thanks for your input! I agree about the textual descriptions. I will most certainly be doing that. Could you explain a bit more about what you mean by "too much fluff"? Also what did you mean by "ain't nobody got time for a title like that!"?

Cheers~
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I wasn't very clear.

By too much fluff, I meant to say that scanning down the page, my eye is distracted by too many elements, making it difficult to quickly find the actual content. Header titles get washed out by all the repetitive text that surrounds it on the top and bottom: Logo, random quote, The pasted "please subscribe" and the list of tags. We already know what blog we're looking at, no need for a logo in each post. The repetition gets lost as noise, and the video embeds don't stand out against it.

"Aint nobody got time..." When looking for information or tutorials, titles and synopsis are key. With a text/image based tutorial, one can easily scan through, and decide if they will actually learn something from it, or pick out the useful bits of information and move on. With video tutorials, all we can do is scrub the time slider, and hope to land on something relevant. With an unhelpful video title like "GIMP AO Split" or "Table Tricks", I wouldn't even bother to click play, there's no guarantee my time would be well spent.
  • Novian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @throttlekitty: Thanks for your input. I have made several changes (and more are on the way) to hopefully improve the format. I hope the cleanup I have done works for you, as well as the small preview I have added to the openings.

Cheers~
  • Novian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Pilgrimage continues! Episode 24 - Learning ZBrush - Intro is now live! Check it out @ the Polygon Pilgrimage

Greetings Pilgrims! In this episode of the Polygon Pilgrimage we take our first look into the power house that is ZBrush. Join me as we go over the interface, navigation, and the basics to getting started with ZBrush

Now, enjoy episode 24 of the Polygon Pilgrimage!
  • Novian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greetings all! Sorry I missed last week's announcement but this weeks is up now too!

For Episode 25 check out the link: here

The Pilgrimage continues! Episode 26 - Learning ZBrush - Masking is now live! Check it out @ the Polygon Pilgrimage

Greetings Pilgrims! In this episode of the Polygon Pilgrimage we take a look at the many uses of the Masking feature inside of ZBrush and how we can use that to protect or affect our tool from sculpting.

Now, enjoy Episode 26 of the Polygon Pilgrimage!
  • Novian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Pilgrimage continues! Episode 27 - Anatomy Tools is now live! Check it out @ the Polygon Pilgrimage

Greetings Pilgrims!

In this episode of the Polygon Pilgrimage we look at an amazing site for anatomical reference: AnatomyTools.com

Hundreds of top tier artists rely on accurate and detailed anatomy learning and reference tools, and we should too!

I’ll show you the products from their site that I want to purchase myself as well as give you a guided tour through their well laid out and slick looking site.

Now, enjoy Episode 27 of the Polygon Pilgrimage!
  • Novian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Pilgrimage continues! Episode 10 - Geometric Pattern (Mandala) in Substance Designer 6
    Check it out now @ the Polygon Pilgrimage

In this episode we create a complex Geometric Pattern (Mandala) in Substance Designer 6.  While large and unwieldly looking it really is quite easy to follow.  As always, any comments or questions are very welcome!

Cheers~
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Novian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I appreciate very much the constructive critiques and I will work to make changes to improve the videos/channel!

While I agree that some concepts might be able to be expressed in text only I feel that video (or at least images) portrays 3d art related techniques much better, and so I do plan on continuing with making videos.

If I happen to come up with or come across a tip that can be expressed in a simple sentence or two with a quick image I will gladly add that to the forum thread and the blog site.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.